Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeanskip Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2010, 08:15 AM
    15 amp duplex recept on 20 amp circuit breaker
    Can you put in 15 amp outlets that has 12 gauge wire on a 20 amp circuits these are just regular household outlets not used for dryers or refrigerator. Or should I replace with 20 amp outlets.
    tableclocks Posts: 432, Reputation: 2

Feb 10, 2010, 08:28 AM

Yes
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 10, 2010, 09:43 AM

The answer is yes you can do that.
    However, if you do that the true 20 amp circuit is not readily identified by looking at the receptacle.

My personal choice is to always match the components a circuit:

1) A 15 amp circuit requires a 15 amp breaker, 14/2 AWG cable and a 15 amp listed receptacle.

1a) I can also use a 15 amp breaker with 12/2 AWG cable and a 15 amp receptacle.

2) a 20 amp circuit will require a 20 amp breaker along with 12/2 AWG cable and either a 20 amp receptacle or a 15 amp receptacle.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theory of vacuum Circuit Breaker & sf6 circuit breaker [ 15 Answers ]

I want to know about the basic Theory of vacuum Circuit Breaker & sf6 circuit breaker

Changing 30 amp circuit breaker to 20 amp [ 8 Answers ]

What do I do with the white wire from the 30 amp breaker ? The 20 amp breaker only has one receptacle.

15 amp circuit replacing with 20 amp breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 15 amp circuit in my living room and it keeps tripping the breaker, I was wondering if it would be safe on the circuit to just replace my 15 amp breaker with a 20 amp breaker and call it good, it this safe and/or legal? Just for info I'm in North American 120v circuit that's all I...

Changing a circuit breaker from 25 amp to 20 amp [ 2 Answers ]

My air conditioner is on a 25 amp breaker and should be on a 20 amp max (per manufacturing). All I need to do is take out the old one and install the new one- right. Do I need to worry about the size of wire when installing a lower breaker or just when increasing it?

View more questions Search