Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BforBrown Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2010, 10:03 AM
    Oil furnace soot
    My oil furnace keeps making soot and cut off. When we clean out the soot it comes right back. Filter and nossle has been changed, I have 17 inches of oil in my 550 gallon tank. What could be the problem
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 6, 2010, 10:23 AM
    The burner is not running properly and this is the reason for the soot. There is more to a oil burner than just installing a nozzel and changing the oil filter. Different oil burners combined with different size and configurations of combustion chambers need different types of nozzels with different degrees of spread to start with along with the oil pump pressure settings and air over/barometric damper adjustments.

It is also a good possibility the nozzel holder is cracked dumping raw fuel into the combustion chamber. This is just about all I have on the issue since I cannot see or be there to do the adjustments using the proper tools for the job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace blowing black soot [ 2 Answers ]

My Oil Furnace is blowing black soot into the house through all the vents. What could be causing this and what can I do to fix the problem?

We have black soot inside our oven and our furnace. What is the cause? [ 2 Answers ]

We have propane appliances and heat. Our furnace and oven are filled with black soot. What would cause this? My daughter mentioned letting the propane get low may be the cause. We did let it get low once about three fills ago. Can someone assist with this issue?

What could cause black soot to come out of my vents from a new heat pump furnace? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new heat pump furnace... and black soot is everywhere in my condo... what could cause this?

Soot from gas furnace [ 1 Answers ]

12-yr old 395CAV Series F gas furnace in my recently bought house produces soot deposits wherever there s air movement, on air return register, kitchen exhaust fan and light cover, on spiderwebs on houseplants etc. It's lamp black. Have put in new store-bought air filter at the place where the...

How can I fix furnace with soot on pipe and floor? [ 1 Answers ]

Soot- black substance formed by combustion or separated from fuel during combustion, rising in fine particles, and adhering to the sides of the chimney or pipe conveying the smoke. My oil furnace is running, but doesn't sound as strong or clear. The notice this problem for 2 days. The smell in the...

View more questions Search