Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JEllsworth Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2009, 04:13 PM
    When to use Local Wages and when do they differ ~60%?
    Hello,

I was wondering when the box #18 on W-2 is used? I am ready to pay my local taxes, but my local wages are ~60% less than my federal and state wages. Obviously this makes a huge difference in how much tax I'm to pay for local.

Additionally: I have not moved in the past year and I work in a different city than I live in (and have for the entire year). The city I work in has 0% tax while the city I live in has 1.5%. Lastly, the city my W-2 takes out taxes for is for the city I live in (but just ~60% of my total yearly income for some reason)

I'm not seeing why there is a significant difference nor do I know which "wages" (fed or local) to use on my city taxes.

Thanks so much for your help in advance!

-Justin
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 12, 2009, 03:04 PM
    Justin:

It is REAL hard to determine how the city taxes your income if you do NOT identify the cities in question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finding x-intercepts, local maximum, local minimum of graph [ 5 Answers ]

How do I find the x-intercepts, local maximums, and local minimums of this graph --> f(x)=1/9(x-3)^2(x+3)^2 using a graphing calculator?

State & Local Wages [ 1 Answers ]

Can somebody tell me the difference between state and local wages?

How do you find the local maximun and local minium of a graph? [ 1 Answers ]

How do u find the local maximun and local minium of a graph?

State wages differ from federal wages on W2 [ 1 Answers ]

On my W2 Box #1 which lists "wages, tips, other comp. is a different number from box #16 which lists state wages, tips, etc. On my state tax return, which do I list as my wages?

View more questions Search