Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunny5678 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2008, 12:17 PM
    W2 with no federal wages
    Hi,
    I worked in a small company in Maryland for 15 days and the W2 for it has both federal wages and federal tax fields blank. And it shows $900 in both social security wages and medicare wages and according s.s.tax and medicare has been withheld. As I was on OPT for this period, I should not have any SS or medicate taxes.

My question is
    Is the blank federal wages field an error?
    Should I not show $900 as federal wages in my tax return? If I don't show, I can save some taxes!

How do I get back my medicare and SS taxes back?

Thanks in advance
    Sunny
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 1, 2008, 10:59 AM
    The fact that no federal taxes were withheld is NOT an error. You did not make enough money in the job.

There SHOULD be $900 in the federal wages part of the W-2 (Box #1), however.

Yes, you CAN get the Social Security and Medicare taxes back that was improperly withheld during your OPT period.

First, you must request that the employer refund these taxes. When they refused (which they will because the tax year has been closed), get the refusal in writing, preferably on company letterhead.

You then submit Form 843 with the refusal letter and other support documents as specified on Page 49 of IRS Pub 519.
    sunny5678 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2008, 11:53 AM
    Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 1, 2008, 02:20 PM
    The amount is so small that the error may never be resolved. If so, you lucked out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Medicare wages and Social Security Wages [ 4 Answers ]

Hello All, Does any one know the difference between medicare wages and Social security wages vs total wages? ( on w-2 form)

State wages differ from federal wages on W2 [ 1 Answers ]

On my W2 Box #1 which lists "wages, tips, other comp. is a different number from box #16 which lists state wages, tips, etc. On my state tax return, which do I list as my wages?

Garnish wages in SC for federal student loans: [ 2 Answers ]

Hello? Gigiw214 , I just found this website. After searching through different topics I could not find a clear answer to my question? We live in the state of South Carolina. I want to know is it legal to garnish wages for a federal student loan. Do they have to notify you that they are going to...

Federal Wage information is missing in my W2. How can I pay my Federal tax? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Last year, I was working as F1 in OPT. As F1, I can exempt from society security tax and medicare tax. But the accounting company also exempted my Federal tax and told me that was the way to do it. I thought I could report my Federal tax later, so I let it go. But right now, I get my...

View more questions Search