Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    needanswers73 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2008, 05:32 PM
    Insurance for 1099 workers
    I am a new painting contractor in ny state and had a question concerning workers comp insurance. I have 4 workers that I will 1099 upon completion of job. Job should take approx one month. Can and do I have to purchase workmans comp.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 24, 2008, 06:02 PM
    First, to 1099 they have to be sub contractors, running their own business, not an employee. As such they would have some freedom to their work, hours and other factors. If they are private contractors, you could and shoould require each of them to have liablity insurance and a contract stating they are not employees but working as a contractor. They also would not be paid hourly but on a commisson or some by the job payment system. And of course they will have to pay all of their own taxes.
    So the money they receive would have to be enough to cover all of those types of expenses. Next you merely go to a full line insurance agent and get a price for workers comp.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2008, 02:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by needanswers73
    I am a new painting contractor in ny state and had a question concerning workers comp insurance. I have 4 workers that I will 1099 upon completion of job. Job should take approx one month. Can and do I have to purchase workmans comp.

In NYS you CAN'T get Workers Comp for them - they're independents (1099) and not employees.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 04:53 PM
    You would need to have them sign a independent contractors agreement, very specific that they are not employees. You would be paying them by the job or by the sq foot or some method other than hourly. And there would be restrictions on some of your control over them, since they are independent contractors.

You may want them to carry some sort of accident coverage on them, I know I write many independent contractors locally accient plans all the time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Service workers [ 6 Answers ]

• What kinds of occupational complaints do service workers have? Would unionization may be able to help resolve some of those complaints?

1099-g & 1099-int [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a citizen of India and filing my taxes as a non-resident for 2006. 1.> I received 1099-G of my 2005 state tax refund. In my 2005 federal tax return I had used the standard deduction on line 11 of 1040NR-EZ i.e "Itemized deductions" line since it is entitled to students from India. Is...

1099-G and 1099-INT, filing as a non-resident [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a citizen of India and filing my taxes as a non-resident for 2006. 1.> I received 1099-G of my 2005 state tax refund. In my 2005 federal tax return I had used the standard deduction on line 11 of 1040NR-EZ i.e "Itemized deductions" line since it is entitled to students from India. Is...

Co-Workers? [ 16 Answers ]

All right easy question... Asking out people you work with, rules, thoughts? I go to different locals all the time as a Tech, but I have a few select girls I'd like to ask out, but what are the rules? How forward should one be about it? In a less formal situation I got it down but when...

1099-MISC to attorney for title insurance [ 3 Answers ]

At a closing an attorney represented the buyer of the property. At the closing the lending institution issued a treasurers check payable to "Attorney - Agent" for lender's title insurance. The invoice for the title insurance is from a third party title insurance company. Is this transaction...

View more questions Search