Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    btnmlg1989 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2012, 12:23 PM
    I am working in a foreign country and I am feeling very lonely
    Hello, I am 23, I am from Spain and I am working in Finland, in a town 100km far from Helsinki, this is a small town, there isn't too many stuff to do. I was here a couple of months before, with two spanish guys and it was easier as we could support each other and talk in spanish.

I made a lot of finnish friends in that time, but I had to come back to Spain, then in Spain I met a spanish girl who was working here in Finland and was feeling lonely because she was working as Au Pair in a house in the woods, isolated and almost all the time alone. Then we talked a lot of time, like one month and then I came back to Finland (not for her, in Spain the situation is very bad and I got a job here).

She is great and we eventually started dating for two months. At this point I have to say I have been in Finland for 5 months but all the time I have been or with those spanish friends (who they left Finland with me and they didn't come back) or with my now girlfriend.

She wanted to leave Finland due the lonileness she felt in the woods alone, but now she met me she wants to study here and settle down here but...

But she had bought a trip to Spain some months ago and she had to fix some businnes like getting the driving licence before coming back here. But the last two month I spent all the weekends with her, and other people ofc but always with her...

Now she is going to stay there a couple of months... maybe 3, and this is the first weekend without her, I always want to show people I am strong, but I feel weak or empty now. I don't fit with my finnish friends, they drink and pass out but I don't have fun... I am thinking on joinning some sport, like martial arts, or yoga, something to let me overcome this loneliness. I am the only spanish speaker around here, and I don't know what to do. The job is great and my boss is a good friend but when I reach home or the weekends... I feel so empty and sad. I am speaking with my family, my girlfriend ofc and friends and I don't want to worry them.

In Spain I used to be alone, I didn't hang out so often but here its different, maybe its just because I miss her, more than to be alone... I am missing her, I know she is going to come back, but I feel bad now...

What do you guys think?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 1, 2012, 12:28 PM
    Yes, join a sport, join anything. Invite your boss or others at work to do something that doesn't involve drinking and passing out. Buy a camera and take pictures of the country (preferably with a friend to act as tour guide). Tell people you are lonely and missing your girlfriend, and ask them to take you wherever they go.
    btnmlg1989 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2012, 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Yes, join a sport, join anything. Invite your boss or others at work to do something that doesn't involve drinking and passing out. Buy a camera and take pictures of the country (preferably with a friend to act as tour guide). Tell people you are lonely and missing your girlfriend, and ask them to take you wherever they go.
    Thanks, people also tell me I have to learn how to live alone with myself, it doenst matter if I have a girlfriend or not, but its difficult. I don't want to feel depressed...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 1, 2012, 03:52 PM
    Yes, I thought you were alone all these months, not just a weekend.

I may have missed how old you are ? I will assume very young. But you need to get out and do things, as much as you can, Use this to learn culture and people, which is what the experience of being a Aupair is all about.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Money received in foreign country in foreign bank account [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, 1. If I receive money from my father as a gift in Indian in my Indian Bank Account,will it be considered as income and does it need to be reported to IRS as a taxable income?The amount is less than 30k USD. 2. Sometimes I send money to my parents account in India(I do not have...

Working Wife relocating from foreign country, but still non resident for 2011 [ 3 Answers ]

Hello there, Thanks for reading. Here is my situation I need help with: Myself: Stayed in US for whole of 2011 and 2010. Filed as "Single" 1040 for 2010 Resident for tax purposes for 2011. (Meet substantial presence test. Not a GC holder) Got married in Mar 2011 in India.

Married filing joint file tax returns, if my wife is working in foreign country [ 4 Answers ]

Am I eligible to file tax returns in married filing joint status, if my wife is working in foreign country (i.e. in INDIA) for whole year 2009? If yes, what are the documents I need to file tax returns as married filing joint? Please assist me.

Feeling lonely [ 9 Answers ]

I don't know really where to begin at, first off sorry about spelling and punctuation I'm writing this kind of fast, anyway, this is pretty much how I have been feeling for a little while now. I don't think I'm really depressed or anything but I just feel really lonely, like I have nothing to do...

US citizen working in foreign country and 1099 [ 1 Answers ]

For a US citizen working as a contractor in foreign country for a US company, does he/she needs a 1099 from the US company? Amount is over $600.

View more questions Search