First of all, I'll throw up relevant specs for the machine in question:

Core2duo cpu
    Intel DG33TL mobo
    650 watt OCZ power supply
    6 gigs ram
    8800 GTS
    Vista ultimate 64bit with service pack 1 installed
    ESET smart security antivirus/firewall

Up until a few days ago I was running 2 seagate hard drives in my machine and 1 externally. All Seagate SATA or SATA2:

Drive 1: (internal 300 gb) Operating system, program installations etc
    Drive 2: (internal 500 gb) Data storage drive
    Drive 3: (external 350 gb) Temp data storage/data transfers

The 500 Gig drive I purchased and installed recently (about 3 months ago), so it is still under warranty. One morning upon powering up the PC, I got no POST on screen, but instead got a single white underscore/prompt on the top-left of screen. Tried to reset etc, powerred down, earthed system, tried again to no avail. Since there were no memory error beeps or anything, I thought there might be a problem with the motherboard/bios, or perhaps that the power supply was starting to conk out, but couldn't double check it.

I began checking the PC by elimination and did a part-by-part boot up. This included taking out all the non essential parts and reseating them. Eventually, I plugged in my 1st HDD (OS drive) and the PC booted without a problem into Vista. At first I thought the problem had been a poorly seated ram dimm or cpu or something, so I plugged my 2nd HDD in hoping to resume normal operation. When I tried to power up again, I got the same problem all over. PC won't go to POST and I cannot get to bios setup or anything. Smelling a sick HDD, I put the faulty drive into my external drive casing. While the casing powerred up, it did not show up in windows at all, and I cannot get it to show up as an external on any other PC.

Normally a crashed hard drive will at least show up in bios or as a screwed up partition or something, but this drive just refuses to even show up. I desperately need to access the work and docs on this drive and while it is still under warranty, the data is a lot more valuable to me than the drive. Clearly something has gone wrong with the drive, but I don't know enough about HDD specifics to know what it is. (PS. The 3rd drive works fine whether internally or in the external casing)

My question/s is thus: What are possible causes of this issue? Normally a broken HDD won't cause a PC to not POST? What are my options as far as data recovery or HDD repair go? Any help will be welcome.

Many thanks in advance
    -Ref
    ref_za Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2008, 03:06 AM

PS. I just checked to see if the HDD was shorting out, but when I put it in the external HDD case and power it up, I can hear it spin up normally. Thought that might help in diagnosis.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Secondary amenorrhea [ 5 Answers ]

I am 18 and found out I have secondary amenorrhea. I REALLY want kids, and I am so bummed out. Has anyone had this and gone on to have normal healthy kids? Please I am so depessed over this.

Well water system: shower stops whole house water stops and starts [ 2 Answers ]

I have a plumbing/well water question. Recently our water flow has been stopping (during a shower or in the sink). The entire house water supply stops. Sometimes there is a noise - like air - as if we've been away for a month. Sometimes there is no noise at all, the flow goes down to a trickle...

Intel computer stuck in POST boot loop [ 8 Answers ]

Hi all, Thanks for checking out my problem. I built an Intel D865GBF desktop computer. Initiallaly installed Windows XP sp 1 and all was fine. When Windows XP SP 2 was available I update to it. Everything was running fine for over 2 years, then we got the dreaded BSOD, upon reboot we see the...

Boot linux from an external hard drive dual boot? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I boot linex from an external hard drive dual boot. How do I do it ?

View more questions Search