Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    glazeddonut5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2013, 04:24 PM
    My puppy pees outside but poops inside
    I have a 12 weeks old pomchi who pees outside fine but has a problem pooping outside. He gives us almost no warning before just going, I have been just trying to take him out when he wakes up, eats, etc and he seems to get it, but I was just wondering if he will naturally start to give us more warnings or has be gotten used to be just taking him out
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2013, 04:25 PM
    He is only 12 weeks you have to train him. At least he got the pee part down so far.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 21, 2013, 02:26 PM
    At 12 weeks old it's amazing that he's already trained to pee outside. A puppy that young can't hold it for long, and can't really give a warning since he doesn't have to go one second, and does the next.

Keep up the potty training. At his age it's best to take him out for a potty brake around 10 - 20 minutes after he eats. Choose a potty word, and repeat it over and over until he goes. When he does potty outside, tons of praise, a treat, let him know that he did what you want him to do. When he potties inside, a firm no and take him directly outside. Even if he's in the middle of pooing, pick him up and out you go, use your potty word, and when he finishes outside, lots of praise.

He's a baby, and it will take some time before his body can catch up to what he knows you want him to do. Positive reinforcement, lots of praise, no yelling, no screaming, all positive, that's the way to go. But it's not going to be instant. He's still very young.

It's recommended to start potty training as soon as you bring your puppy home, but don't expect him to really be reliable until he's at least 4 months old. At this stage it's just reinforcing behavior until he's old enough to consistently do what you expect. Even four months is pushing it, it will likely be closer to 6 months before he's completely potty trained.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

14 week old puppy does not care where she poops or pees [ 1 Answers ]

14 week old german shepherd poops and pees everywhere, crate, floor, where ever, when ever and right in front of us!! We are constantly taking her out to go, waiting and waiting for her to go, rewarding her to death with treats and praise when she does go, and she still poops and pees were ever and...

My puppy pees and poops all over the house, even where he sleeps [ 2 Answers ]

My 4 month old japanese spitz puppy is peeing and pooping all over the house. Even he poops jumping over my bed. I've saved this puppy when it was one month old. From then, I've tried every method, but it didn't work. I tried to make him potty on the newspaper, but he didn't do regularly. Now, I...

My puppy 22 weeks old and still pees and poops around my house help? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 22 week old puppy she is a chi cross jack russell she is driving me made she is pooing and pee all over my house even though she has a dog flap she wiill pee right in front of me and poo she knows what she has done so please can you help me and my 4 children thank you

5-month-old cocker spaniel puppy still pees and poops in house [ 3 Answers ]

We have a 5 month old cocker spaniel puppy who knows to pee and poop outside and will even do both on command. However, he still will go in the house if he needs to; even if we've recently taken him outside. He will pee right in front of us, and if he has to poop, he'll go behind a couch or in...

My puppy poops & pees in crate [ 12 Answers ]

My 7 month old shih-tzu puppy continues to poop & pee in his crate. We had a crate that was too big, which we used for the last few months. We just got him a smaller crate, more appropriate for his size, and now he's pooping in it more than he did in the large one. He continues to pee in it...

View more questions Search