Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patthompson39 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2007, 07:38 AM
    Survivors benefits
    What are the surviving spouses rights as to the deceased benefits. Are they eligible to draw that benefit also?

patthompson39
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2007, 07:44 AM
    It depends on the benefits. Social Security, you can draw from the highest benefit, once you are eligible to draw Social Security. Other benefits, like a pension plan? You have to check the plan. Some plans only pay out to the person in whose name the pension was set up, with no surviving spouse benefit. So once the person dies, the plan dies too, and the funds go back to the company. So that is where I would start, with the pension plan itself. Go to the Human Resource person of that company and ask. Or if you have a copy of that plan, look through it very carefully.

Best of luck to you in finding out. Wish I could be more help to you on this but without knowing the exact benefit, I cannot tell you for 100%.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 10, 2007, 07:46 AM
    I currently am dealing with this with my mother. My father just passed and we are trying to get this straightened out before I leave.

Now, are you talking SSI? State benefits?

With SSI, if both people are collectig SSI then the lesser of the two benefits is dropped and the surviving spouse collects the greater of the two. However, they only collect approximately 2/3's of the highest benefit. That is where we are right now.

Now, each locality has it's own deth benefits. In my mother's case we had to go to the Department of Human Services to file for the local death benefits.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

VA disability benefits [ 2 Answers ]

Can my VA disability benefits be garnished to pay unsecured credit card debt ?

Spousal Benefits [ 2 Answers ]

I pulled off SS site Answer ID504 regarding this question " My wife doesn't have enough work to qualify for SS or Medicare. Can she use my records?" Answer applies to husbands as well. She can draw as early as 62 it says if the number holder is already drawing benefits. Here's our info to help...

Friends with benefits [ 10 Answers ]

Me and my ex broke up about two months ago and know we are talking like we are friends again, like before we started dating. But now I can tell both of us want each other just not in a dating mode. So my question is how do I transition from ex to friends with benefits?

Swimming benefits [ 3 Answers ]

Why is swimming such a good form of exercise what are the benefits?

Benefits of an S corporation [ 5 Answers ]

What are the benefits of forming an S corp? I was told that with an S corp net income isn’t subject to self employment tax. So you will save on Medicare and on FICA (aka Social Security tax). Is this true?

View more questions Search