Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ArnieH Posts: 68, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2010, 10:02 AM
    Dog Diet
    What would be a sufficient amount of daily food for two dogs---13 years old--- 60 and 75 pounds.

How many cans per day?

Thank you.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 21, 2010, 10:11 AM

The dog experts aren't available right now. Please check back periodically for an answer. They should be here fairly soon.
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Mar 21, 2010, 10:12 AM

There is no strict rule, it depends on their current weight, health, appetite, and even the quality of the food they are eating. The guidelines on the bag or can (Dry kibble is much better for their dental health) is a starting point, then you would need to monitor their weight and adjust accordingly.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2010, 10:20 AM

teachnk is spot on.
    There really is no set amount.

Just like people dogs can have differing metabolisms, you can have 2 dogs of the same breed at the same weight yet one will require twice the amount of food than the other.

As a guide for healthy weight I judge by sight and feel. You should just be able to see the last 2 ribs when the dog is in motion and when you run your hand down the dogs back with your thumb on one side and fingers on the other you should be able to feel the rib.

I start feeding my dogs what I think is reasonable, so for your dogs, maybe a large can each... then adjust it accordingly as you see their weight change.
    Some dogs are naturally very greedy as well so hunger is not a clear indication.

I both agree and disagree that kibble is better. In younger dogs yes definitely it helps keep their teeth clean, but in older dogs that could possibly have bad teeth, dry might be hard for them to eat.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2010, 12:46 PM

It really does depend on the quality of food and the enegry level of your dogs.

For example, all my dogs, who range from 55lbs to 95 all eat a cup and a half per feeding and they get fed twice as day. My seniors are included. They are, however, on a very high quality food. Its called innova. They have a senoir formula also. But I noticed when I'm between paydays and they run out of food, that the same amout that I feed in innova that fills them, staves my dogs while being fed lesser quality foods such as pro plan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog is seriously unhappy with her weightloss diet plan... [ 20 Answers ]

I am struggling to keep my Rottweiler's hunger and weight under control. Her vet recommended feeding her 2 cups of Hill's Science Diet Lite Large breed dog food and 2 cans of green beans a day along with a nice walk. Well, this is turning into a disaster!! She's acting like a staved dog. She's...

Natural diet of my dog [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am looking for a good natural diet for my little dog which has a bowel problem . I am running out of ideas Meiko is a 7yr old Cain Terrier with a inflamed or irritable bowel and would l eat anything He is eating a mix of brown whole grain rice , sweet potato , and Wellness Core...

Skin allergies, dog food diet [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old black lab. He has had almost constant ear infections over the last two years. The vet believes he has sensitive skin since he licks his coat (no hot spots). Recently I took him off commercial dog food (which I still feed my other labs w/no problem). Within 4 days his ears...

Dog on diet? [ 1 Answers ]

My 6 month old black lab puppy is vomiting what looks to be bile and has lost her appetite for the past day and a half. She did eat a treat that was given to her but doesn't have interest in her food. Her energy level is still normal. She has all of her shots and is current with them. The only...

Bladderstone diet for my dog [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, A year ago my dog had surgery for bladderstones, it looks like they might be coming back, we are feeding him a prescription diet that he does not like, does anyone know if I can cook him something to help with the taste of the dog food, that won't hurt him. Thanks

View more questions Search