Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tammyblakely Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2009, 11:28 AM
    Salary Labor Law
    I am a salary employee. It is set that I work 45 hours per week. My wage is figured on 8 hours of work with an hour paid break. I am an evening supervisor at a conveinence store in North Dakota. Am I entitled to some type of overtime pay for working more that 45 hours? For example by the end of this week I will have more than 65 hours in.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2009, 11:36 AM

Double post
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...aw-378594.html
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 22, 2009, 11:48 AM

Salaried employees rarely get over time. You are set at 45 hour so why will you have 65? Do you have a written contract?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2009, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Salaried employees rarely get over time. You are set at 45 hour so why will you have 65? Do you have a written contract?
    Sounds to me like a company that gets you to sign an agreement and then its ''oh by the way we need you these extra hours this week''.
    I know businesses that do that. If she doesn't have it in a contract that specifically says 45 hours and it was just verbal they can get away with it.

You are either paid salary or wage or commission but you can be paid commission on top of salary or wage.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 22, 2009, 01:43 PM

Whle there are exceptions, most salary is salary, for working any number of hours for that week.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2009, 01:54 PM
    "Salary" means that you get paid a set amount for your work, regardless of how many hours you actually spend on the job. That said, you would not be entitled to any overtime pay for working 65 hours or any other amount of hours. If your job description presumes a 45-hour work week then that's what you should be putting in. Now if you get called in to cover for someone else on your day off then that's something you have to negotiate before the fact. Otherwise, when called in like that politely refuse.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 22, 2009, 03:20 PM

When salaried employees would ask me that question I always ask them if we deucted pay if we gave them a day off or early release, we did not.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2009, 10:17 AM

You stated you got paid a one hour lunch break. Most employees don't get a "paid lunch" break.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pre labor/False labor [ 4 Answers ]

Ok odd question. How long can pre labor last? I have been having contractions since Sunday and they don't get any closer and/or change in intesity. I was just wondering since even with two previous births I have never before experienced this. I don't even know if it is pre labor or not. I just...

Describe two factors that affect labor supply and two factors that affect labor deman [ 7 Answers ]

Describe two factors that affect labor supply and two factors that affect labor demand. Using economic principles, describe how changes in the labor market have affected you or someone you know.

Home country salary from US salary [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a L1 visa holder from india and was working in Massachusetts from aug 2005 to dec 2005 as a contractor from my original company in india. I used to receive the US salary from aug 2005 to dec 2005 for which I have the W2. During the same period I also used to receive my indian...

Salary Labor Laws [ 3 Answers ]

Im a maintenance manager Salary employee, I have been with my company 4 1/2 years. Ever since I worked for this company I have been on emergency stand by call 24 hours a day 365 days a week. Even when I am on vacation I answer emergency phone calls. My company cell phone has become a part of my...

Salary vs Hourly, punching a clock on salary. [ 2 Answers ]

My company put me on salary a few years back. I still have to work overtime and I still have to punch a time card, I just dont get paid for any overtime hours. Also I have not gotten the standard raise that I used to get anymore. I was wondering is this fair practice?

View more questions Search