Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    taraish Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 04:13 PM
    I am scared my partner will leave because of my insecurities
    My partner and I continue to fight because I get jealous and angry when I find that he has been spending time with his friends whom are females, one in particular is one of his old love interests. He assures me I have nothing to be worried about and deep down I do know this, but I find it difficult to be all right with this and find it hard to suppress and/or deal with the jealousy that I feel when these situations arise. He still wants to be with me but has just told me that he is sick of me threatening him that I will leave because I don't get my own way or can not handle the situation maturely. I will cause the fight and threaten to break up, which I do not want, but I don't know what else to do, he gets hurt from this. Obviously I get hurt and do not want this at all to continue and I would like it to stop before he ends up being fed up with it and leaves me. How can I put this right for him after months of treating him like this on and off and how can I make myself feel better so that it no longer continues. And all of his friends care about me but are aware that I am doing this to him and feel for him and I do not want them to feel our realationship has holes in it when we actually love each other dearly.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2009, 04:26 PM
    You are heading on the right path if you are trying to ruin this relationship. You need to seek counseling for this problem, I have the same problem with insecurities but have learned techniques to help me out with my current relationship. I'll list a few that I have found extremely helpful.

1. Write down the problem, leave it and then come back an hour later and see if it still makes you upset. This accomplishes two things, first if you reread it and aren't upset problem solved, if it still bothers you, you are calmer than you were when it first happened to talk it out.

2. Write down problems and then address them WITHOUT attacking him. The way you say things is as much as important as what you say. If he feels you are attacking him then he will respond with anger as well. Think of things this way, if a dog was attacking you would you not defend yourself as well? Same basic principle applies.

3. Don't sweat the small stuff, life's too short to be pissed off all the time.
    NItEMArE129 Posts: 222, Reputation: 29

Jan 7, 2009, 08:29 PM

Another piece of advice is that you should look back on every other time you have felt like this. And when you do, think about these things:
    A). Was it worth getting angry over when you knew what happened?
    B). What happened the other times you got angry? Anything good?
    C). Does he know how you feel about this?
    D). Do you trust him? Does he trust you? Do you trust him to respect how you feel?
    E). And finally, if you were hanging out with friends of yours that are guys, how would you feel if he harassed you the same way?

I went through the same thing, and trust me, it's hard. As long as you trust him, everything should be fine.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 7, 2009, 08:50 PM

Well how is he spending time with them, is he hanging at their homes, is he going to the bar with them,

I mean if he was at the bar with them, going to their homes, I would lock him out before he got back home myself
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 11, 2009, 11:21 AM

I am scared my partner will leave because of my insecurities
    Do something about them then.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scared that my boyfriend will leave me [ 18 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been going out for awhile now and now he is ready to become a dad, I have been trying to get pregnant for two months now and nothing is happening, he thinks that something is wrong with one of us. He said that he loves me and that he wants to spent the rest of his life with...

All my insecurities are out.now what? [ 9 Answers ]

Ok I have posted before and got great responses however I have a hard time following them, that is my problem. I really need to take advice at this point because I know what pushes guys away and I am on the brink of that and lucky I have not yet. I have been with my boyfriend for 8 months. I love...

Too scared to leave . [ 4 Answers ]

Hi um this is actually for a close friend of mine trying to figure out what to do... They've been married for 5 years and now have 3 kids, oldest is 5 youngest is only 4 months, mom is 25 dad is 26 now The dad doesn't have a shred of fatherhood in him, he ignores the kids, when asked to...

My Insecurities [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I Am A 45 Yr Old Woman Who Got Married Again Almost A Yr Ago, After Being Alone For 2 Yrs. My First Husband Passed Away. I Met My Husband Online In August 2004, We Were Married August 2006. We Have A Dream Come True For Both Of Us. But I Have Insecurities.I Love Him More Then Anything In This...

Should I leave my partner [ 14 Answers ]

I have been in a relationship for 9 years and I'm between minds of if to go or stay.my boyfriend had a kid four years ago with another women and now four years later he has done it again.should I get out of this relationship or should I try to make it work.we live together now and we have a son...

View more questions Search