Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dana2007 Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

Feb 10, 2008, 07:16 PM
    Can Websites Find Out What other websites we visit?
    Is it possible for website owners to find out what other websites we visit? If so, how do they find out? Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 10, 2008, 07:24 PM
    One word: cookies

Feb 10, 2008, 07:57 PM
    Does that mean I should delete my cookies immediately after coming here so that the other website cannot find out I came here?

Feb 10, 2008, 10:08 PM
    Or if I use a different browser for each website?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2008, 10:55 PM
    Opening a different browser window with the same browser would not work. I'm not sure if using a completely different browser like Firefox or Opera would work.

Not all cookies can be read by other places. Not all cookies are bad. But some are not very nice. But it certainly doesn't hurt to delete your cookies when you get done browsing. Also, spyware programs can find the bad ones and delete them for you. You can also turn up the cookie setting in IE, under Tools --> Internet Options --> Privacy. Do keep in mind this might keep you from doing certain things.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2008, 11:24 PM
    If you don't want to be tracked I suggest this download

Go-Liberty Free Download - Surf the Internet, download, chat without being tracked and keep your privacy.

how to keep from being tracked on internet - Google Search

Hope this helps -- Please rate my answer
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 11, 2008, 06:54 AM
    Cookies have gotten a much maligned reputation. Essentially a cookie is a small text file, often encrypted, that some WEB sites leave on your PC to identify you when you return. The purposes is to customize the site to you individually. But cookies can be used maliciously. Also advertising sites like doubleclick.com use them to track your interests, again to customize the WEB for you. Most of this is done without capturing or storing anyting that is traceable to you. For example, if you bought books from a specific author at one book site, you might find that author being presented to you at another site. But that's done dynamically so the site doesn't store you preferences on their machines.

Why are you concerned about this?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there any websites design websites on intalment basis or on joint venture profit s [ 5 Answers ]

Is there any website design website on intalment basis or on joint venture profit sharing basis?

Number Of Websites [ 2 Answers ]

How many websites are on the Internet?

Proxy off websites because the school blocked mostly all websites [ 2 Answers ]

Can you give me as many proxy off websites that you know because at my school I can't play games or go to myspace or to Yahoo. So can you help me?

Websites as Seen on TV [ 6 Answers ]

How many people log onto a website they see flash across their screen during a TV show, movie, live newscast, etc. Not including website commercials, just random sites you see during a program.

View more questions Search