Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    christineh425 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2007, 11:32 AM
    What am I legally required to give to my husband from ss check
    HI,

I need to know how much if any back payment (from Social Security. I am on disability and for some reason did not apply for children's benfits until more than 4 years later) I am required to give my husband. We live in the same house but we are sepparated. I know that he will demand at least half of the money. I have been duped by him at least once out of money. He tricked me into taking my name off our home mortgage when he thought we should refinance. Then I lived away temporarly, he sold our home and never proved what he did with the money. He then bought another home saying that the money from the first one went to paying off debt that we were both responsible for. I believe that some of the money went towards buying the new house. A while ago we had 2 vans and one of them was very old. The old van was mine and at a time when we were short on a mortgage payment, he sold my van. We now share the newer van. Though he uses the van more than me, he expects me to pay for the majority of the up keep and gas. He tells me that if I don't want to pay for upkeep then I should buy my own car. I use almost all of my money to take care of other people and some of my bills. If I could get a legal seppartion from him and could still keep him from his girlfriend then I would. As you can tell, I could use a lot of advice.

Thank you for any and all sound advice,
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 2, 2007, 01:07 PM
    You need to get out of that house and move on your own, you are living with him only to keep him from a girlfriend??
    kanicky73 Posts: 484, Reputation: 63

Feb 2, 2007, 01:21 PM
    First of all, what state do you live in? Is it a marital property state? If so, then it doesn't matter whether your on the mortgage, anything bought during a marriage, whether it be a house, car, furniture etc is marital property. It does not matter who's name the loan is in. So even if he bought a new house now and your not on the mortgage if you live in a marital property state you own half of the house. You can better believe if he goes delinquent on the mortgage the company will be looking for his spouse. If you do live in a marital property state I suggest that you run a tri merge credit report, that means all three credit bureaus. What this will do for you is tell you everything or anything he has purchased lately. Even if your name is not on a loan, in a marital property state all liabilities get reported to both credit bureaus. Then do what Fr_Chuck suggested, get out of that house and move on! This guy doesn't respect you, why should you respect him?
    christineh425 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 01:05 PM
    I should say that I wanted to keep my children from his girlfriend because of her being vervally abusive towards them in the past and also they are afraid of being with her. And also do I have to give my husband any of the social security back pay to him when I receive it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boss Refusing To Give Me My Check! [ 13 Answers ]

I worked "under the table" for my boss who owns a separate company. She refused to put me on payroll because she didn't think it was right having her catering business pay for her eBay selling since she didn't get taxes taken out. We never sorted through that situation before all this crap broke...

Benefit entitlement [ 1 Answers ]

Q 1. are you entitled to any benefits or pensions after being bankrupt? Q 2.can you open a basic bank account after being bankrupt? Q 3. are all the debts cleared after being bankrupt even if the debts are extremely high altogether? Would you be allowed to use a family members bank account...

View more questions Search