Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2011, 06:34 PM
    I got into a car accident, now what?
    It's been a week since my accident. What had happened is that my daughter had a balloon and somehow, with the windows being down, the balloon made it's way to me and got stuck between me and the steering wheel. It was horrible. The road was narrow since two cars were parked both sides of the road. I couldn't see and when I moved the balloon I saw that I was about to hit a car, I swerved and hit the left taillight which hit my right headlight. I've never been in a car accident before. I just really sat there frozen and never got out of the car. In conclusion I ended up with a $490 ticket fir reckless driving. I'm going to court to fight it, its not like I was trying to blare the music up while eating a hot dog... Ahh well. It's 4 points on my license so I have to fight it. Is there anything I should say or not say in court? I'm a single mom that works and goes to school a 490$ ticket would kill me.

Also lately I've been feeling scared all of the sudden, I'll be fine one minute then I'll feel like I have a ton if bricks on me and I just feel scared. Should I visit the doctor or will this pass?

... and to be honest I never want to drive ever again.

I also uploaded pictures so you can I guess get a real visual of what happened.
    Attached Images

Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 5, 2011, 07:14 PM

What sort of statement did you make to the police?

Did you give them the entire "ballon" story.
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2011, 08:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    What sort of statement did you make to the police ??

Did you give them the entire "ballon" story.
    Yes I told him everything I have posted.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2011, 05:12 AM

I'm a liability investigator - when you get to Court I would strongly recommend against the "all that happened was X. It's not like I was driving and eating a hot dog." There was damage and, unfortunately, it's your fault. I would ask the Court for leniency, a reduced fine, possibly a reduced charge. The Assistant DA (or DA, depending on where you are) SHOULD be sympathetic and work with you.

That's substantial damage. How fast were you going? What has the owner of the other vehicle said/done?

As far as never driving again - it was an accident. It happens. I know it's a scare and an upset and will be costly. Sometimes it's the fine, sometimes it's the insurance deductible, sometimes it's the increased insurance premium. Sometimes it's all three. But it's an accident. No one was hurt (yes, someone could have been but no one was). You and your daughter are not injured. That's the "things could be worse" speech.

You have to take a deep breath, prepare yourself to be calm and not give excuses in Court, and get back behind the wheel. It's a lesson to everyone in what can happen in a motor vehicle. I've had accidents where children have toys, drop them, the next thing you know the toy is under the gas pedal or brake pedal.

And it could have been worse -
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2011, 12:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I'm a liability investigator - when you get to Court I would strongly recommend against the "all that happened was X. It's not like I was driving and eating a hot dog." There was damage and, unfortunately, it's your fault. I would ask the Court for leniency, a reduced fine, possibly a reduced charge. The Assistant DA (or DA, depending on where you are) SHOULD be sympathetic and work with you.
    Okay will do. Thanks for the advice. I'm in Ontario Canada by the way.

That's substantial damage. How fast were you going? What has the owner of the other vehicle said/done?
    I was going about 30-40 km per hour so about 18-24 MPH.

As for the owner he was just a little shocked. No one was even in the car. I hit a parked car. Wow I feel stupid saying it.

As far as never driving again - it was an accident. It happens. I know it's a scare and an upset and will be costly. Sometimes it's the fine, sometimes it's the insurance deductible, sometimes it's the increased insurance premium. Sometimes it's all three. But it's an accident. No one was hurt (yes, someone could have been but no one was). You and your daughter are not injured. That's the "things could be worse" speech.

You have to take a deep breath, prepare yourself to be calm and not give excuses in Court, and get back behind the wheel. It's a lesson to everyone in what can happen in a motor vehicle. I've had accidents where children have toys, drop them, the next thing you know the toy is under the gas pedal or brake pedal.

And it could have been worse -
    Thanks Judy for the advice. Tomorrow I hop on the road again since the accident, I'm scared to be honest.

I've also attached an image of how the road was. It was narrow with having two parked cars on each side of the road, if it wasn't for the balloon I would've had to temporarily hug the toad just to get through. But with the darn thing being there I didn't even get the chance to see that there was a second car parked in the road until it was too late.

Jeeze.
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Jun 7, 2011, 06:00 AM

None of this matters - you hit a car. If it had been stopped in the middle of the street the accident would still have been your fault. I absolutely understand what happened but nothing changes the fact that you lost control of your car.

What are the insurance companies doing?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 7, 2011, 06:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mudweiser View Post
    ... hug the toad ...
    Must be a Canadaism. ;)

Nice graphics by-the-way. Like JKT, I understood the situation from your description, but still nice.
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2011, 11:45 AM

Thanks guys for your help :-)
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2011, 12:00 PM

Let us know how it works out.

Some day you can tell the story and people will laugh. I somehow doubt that that day is today!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 7, 2011, 04:31 PM

Muddy, I used to be an insurance underwriter, and I live in Canada. I don't know the law, but I do know insurance.

Here's the thing. Balloon, elephant, a fly, a spider, a bee, whatever it was that distracted you, doesn't matter. You're at fault. It's sad, but true.

I do agree that you should try to reduce the price of the ticket, but at this point, you're at fault for the accident, and the person whose car you hit will need to be compensated, through your insurance. He/she was parked. It's definitely not his/her fault.

I hope it all works out. :)
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2011, 04:00 PM

Muddy, I have a Jeep GC also and those cars are like tanks. Wow you really did bash the rear end of the car. At least in the Jeep you two walked away with no injuries. Now had you been in the little puddle jumper you would both have had injuries. Glad you're okay. Hope you at least had collision coverage to get body work done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car accident my car with insurance but no license [ 8 Answers ]

I had a car accident with my car with an insurance cover but no valid license but provisional driving licence which I have accepted liability of,what would be the repercussions

Car Accident Totaled My Car.. Insurance Paid Out Low Blue Book Can I? [ 2 Answers ]

I was rear-ended Recently That The Insurance called a total lost on my car.. The insurance company paid me out on the low blue book On My vehicle.. The other party's Insurance has not made contact with me... I have to purchase another vehicle... I found a vehicle to purchase but the cost is...

Determining accident fault? -my parked car involved in multi car parking lot accident [ 15 Answers ]

What happens in a parking lot accident scenario: Car 1 driving (fast) hits Car 2 that is backing out of the parking lot. Car 2 because of the impact now hits Car 3 and Car 4 which were parked to Car 2s' left and right respectively. I have Car 5 and was parked to Car 3's left. My car (Car 5)...

Can my car be sold to pay for accident my child had in my car in Alabama [ 3 Answers ]

Can my car be sold to pay for damages to a car my daughter hit. She took us to court I was not able to go I am disabled. I spoke to person and told her I could pay her a small amount each month but she said no. I am still on disability so what can I do?

Car accident -driver in front put her car in reverse and smashed me [ 2 Answers ]

I was sitting in my car at a red light. Traffic was heavy-ish. Suddenly- very suddenly and out of nowhere my car and the car in front of me collided with an enormous impact. I was stunned. I was shocked and confused. Prior to impact my car was absolutely stationary! My chest area ( heart) ,...

View more questions Search