Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carolynm1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2008, 10:22 AM
    Puppy Shedding
    My 9 month old puppy is shedding everywhere. What a mess.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2008, 10:24 AM
    Daily combing should help solve the problem... it is that time of year.
    If he has long hair or really thick hair you could cut a little of it or take him to the groomer. I personally don't like to cut their hair really short... I think they need it to help cool off and as a protection against the sun.
    AlwaysWriting Posts: 131, Reputation: 6

Jun 11, 2008, 10:42 AM
    Normally dogs shed their summer and winter coats, it also depends on the breed of dog. If it's a lab, I feel your pain! They shed 10 months out of the year! Try using a slicker brush.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2008, 11:30 AM
    It's only natural to shed in the summer. Just regular grooming will help.
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jun 11, 2008, 01:40 PM
    What kind of dog do you have, I have a husky and I can go out and brush him everyday and I can get 4 sobeys bags full.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2008, 10:36 PM
    Hi there bush. I was wondering how the coat can help them to cool off?

I'm getting a very furry dog (english cocker spaniel), and our summers can get very, very hot here. Plus, air conditioning is not allowed in this country. :)

Also, any tips for keeping our little puppy cool?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2008, 06:16 AM
    Linn... I first heard it from a groomer.
    There is no way I could give you all of the reasons, so I dug up an article on it. Now there may or may not be varying views on this so you will have to just go with your gut.

I have a pom mix and their info about them developing soft undercoat is true and the fact that she sheds that furry little undercooat each spring is true as well. She has never been shaved but really my little chi/rattie sheds more than she does with her long hair. The truth about cats, dogs — and hairballs - TODAY: Pets - MSNBC.com
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2008, 07:54 AM
    The simple answer is that air acts as an insulator. Hair traps a layer of air near the skin, which keeps some of the sun's heat from getting to the skin and warming up the blood and tissue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Daschund shedding [ 3 Answers ]

Hope someone has some ideas. My 7 month little doxie ((Bratwurst) is shedding like crazy. We have him on good food. He does not have fleas. No skin problems. Does not itch a lot at all. Every time I pet him or pick him up his hair is all over me. Any ideas? Thanks, Vallaro

Skin shedding [ 6 Answers ]

Pretty lady, I've heard somewhere that the skin shed every 4 months, is that true? I means if some one used bad cream on the body how long does the effect be gone completely, I see that the face rebound fast but not the body, how to accelerae this process?

Excessive Shedding? [ 3 Answers ]

Our pup (3 yrs old) has begun to shed excessively for our climate. I'm concerned because we are in a northern state and have snow through February at least. Her shedding is similar to what happens to her in warmer months... but this hasn't happened in January before. She's a short haired mix...

Why is he shedding [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 9 month old bichon/lhasa apsos I was told by the seller they don't shed grant you they might shed very very little anyway he started to shed hair 2 weeks ago and more than I thought he should would you know the reason for this and when I brush him there is hair all over my top I would...

Shedding Too Much [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Shep./Mastiff cross... Just over 1 year old. I was wondering if anyone knows how much this type of breed would shed. It seems like I am constantly brushing him. Just petting him a couple of times you will get a hand full of fur. I keep him outside because of all the fur he is losing ( I...

View more questions Search