Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MISSIBAYBE Posts: 72, Reputation: 5

Jan 2, 2007, 03:05 PM
    Dare Devil Doxie who Begs For Food
    I have a one year old Doxie named Jasmine. She is a very hyper dog. She jumps off furniature like it's nothing. I've bought doggy steps for her but she'd rather jump on and off furniture. How do I control this? :confused:

She also begs for food when we're sitting at the dining table. She'll stare at you and bark forever. And when you get up to leave, she's quick to steal what's left on your plate! :eek: Help!!
    badams007 Posts: 106, Reputation: 12

Jan 2, 2007, 07:39 PM
    This dog needs obedience training! She is a "terrible teen" in dog age and is getting way too big for her britches. Once you get some training under your belt, you will be able to mold her behavior into ways that are not just more acceptable and less rude, but also safer for her.

-Beth
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2007, 09:28 PM
    Beth is right. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position

Far too many people fail to obedience train small dogs. Some trainers don't even take them serious. Big mistake.
    MISSIBAYBE Posts: 72, Reputation: 5

Jan 3, 2007, 10:01 AM
    Thanks for the advice!!
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2007, 10:14 AM
    Missibaybe-
    I have a mini doxie and I find that crating him during dinner is highly effective. It gives him a chance to wind down as evening approaches and allows my husband and I to eat in piece.

Listen to Beth and Labman.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Could the Devil be from another planet? [ 48 Answers ]

This is a silly question maybe, and I know there is no scriptural basis for it. However, I recently saw John Carpenter's movie "Prince of Darkness", and it explains that Satan basically was an ancient evil being from another galaxy who came and tried to take over the earth. Anyway I thought it was...

Mini Doxie [ 2 Answers ]

I have a mini Doxie who will be 11 months old shortly. She is just finishing up her first heat which has been 3 weeks. Her nipples are still swoolen and her bottom as well, but not nearly as much. The blood is gone. I've been told that when they go "clear" that is when they are fertile. How...

Need help to distinguish between auxiliary dare and main verb dare [ 1 Answers ]

I am facing a problem while differentiating between the use of dare as an auxiliary verb and as a main verb. Most of the web sites say that you can know it by the way it's used but all the sentences I come across, they just confuse me more and more. Consider the following two examples. 1. None...

Wet dog food and dry dog food [ 5 Answers ]

Someone told me that I should be giving a balance of wet dog food and dry dog food each week and not just dry dog food all the time. He told me that too much dry food can cause constipation. Is this true? Also, which brands are considered low grade dog food?

View more questions Search