Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nmoszko Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2008, 05:16 PM
    Days since my dog drank water
    Over a week ago, my dog got a Steroid shot due to his bad allergies. Ever since, he hasn't been the same--lethargic, showing signs of being thirsty, but not drinking, yawning constantly, and loss of his puppy-like play.

I was concerned and then became more concerned when I noticed his lack of drinking and noticed too that he was shivering more at times and licking his mouth like he was thirsty. So, I took him back.

They said he was mildly dehydrated and gave him some fluids under the skin and also said he had a urinary tract infection, so that was probably causing his tiredness. So, now he is on an antibiotic too.

It has been 3 days since he had the fluids injected and he is still not drinking water. We've started to force some water down his throat and added water to his dry food (he always gets a 1/3 can wet food too at dinner)--anything we can do to get some liquid in him. He doesn't like ice cubes.

It is like he is suddenly turned off water yet he shows signs of thirst. Could this be related to the steroids, or the urinary tract infection? Why won't he drink... oh and he is urinating (I think it seems like more than normal, but he is going consistently).

Please help--I've been to the vet 3 times in the past week and they don't seem to concerned but ever since the shot of steroids he has showed so many strange signs--but not drinking has me most concerned.

My dog is two years old and is a Red Bone Coon Hound (mostly hound but he has something else in him--we don't know what). He is chasing the cat and wants treats, but at certain times he doesn't act like himself and I can't remember in the past week when he's drank from his bowl. I keep watching the water level and it never goes down.

Does anyone know what could be wrong... I feel like my vet isn't addressing the problem.
    krissyg2991 Posts: 142, Reputation: 11

Oct 19, 2008, 05:30 PM

Take him to a different vet. If you feel this vet isn't addressing your problem either, have him explain what he's doing to help your dog, how it's supposed to help, and what he thinks is causing the issue.
    It is your veterinarian's responsibility to not only diagnose and treat your dog, but also to keep you informed so you know whether what he's doing is addressing the problem you fear your doggie might have.

Also, do some research. Certain breeds are more susceptible to certain things like urinary tract infections, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I started my period 2 days after unprotected sex, It only lasted 2 1/2 days. [ 6 Answers ]

I know I've already asked if I could be pregnant because I started my period only 2 days after having sex. I've gotten feed back and that reassured me, but the weird thing is my period only lasted 2 days. I started on Tuesday morning and by late thursdy night I was already finished, which isn't...

Drank driving [ 6 Answers ]

If u get a3rd dui in Oregon,is there d/l supension or jail? And can I take my lience in ca?

My husband was on meth and drank [ 3 Answers ]

This is how it began, my husband was on meth and I knew it, but when he brought into our home I told him to leave and he did . This was over a year ago. He stopped the meth about 10 months ago on his own. We always drank from time to time but not a lot. Well he is back and has been for 8 months....

Need to give 60 days notice, but rent is increasing in thirty days [ 3 Answers ]

I have rented the condo I am in now for over two years. After the initial lease term of one year, I went on a month-to-month basis. I am required to give 60 days notice prior to vacating the property. My landlord notified me at the end of this month (february) that the rent would be...

View more questions Search