Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kmcjunkion Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2011, 09:33 AM
    Can I increase water volume without running a new water line?
    Hello, I live about 800 feet from the water meeter and when they ran the line to my house they ran a 1" pvc. I live on a down hill slope and I have 65psi at the house hose bibs. I can get it up to 110psi if I adjust the pressure valve and get super pressure but still drops considerably when two things are on at once.( I was told leaving it at that high of psi would eventually damage the plumbing, pvc pipes, etc.) My problem is that I can never have more that one thing running at a time or the water just barely comes out. House was ran with 3/4" cooper main runs and branched off with 1/2" cooper. Thank You
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2011, 10:21 AM
    1" running 800ft. is not so good, but you did say you were downhill. You can run higher pressure but Volume is the limitation since the limiting factor is the 3/4" line from the regulator. Are you sure there is no debris in any of the faucets? Pull out the aerators and see what kind of flow you get.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 13, 2011, 11:56 AM

Yes, your pressure is too high, should be about 45 psi but your volume is low. You may be allowed to add a booster pump but the improvement will be marginal.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 13, 2011, 03:30 PM

I suggest installing a well tank and setting PRV to 60 lbs. Installation of a 100 gallon bladder tank should give you about 50 gallons of water storage at 60 lbs. of pressure, ready for your use at any given time. As soon as you begin using water the pressure will begin to drop and additional water will enter that tank but not at the same volume as you are using it. At some point (when the tank is empty) the volume of water flow and pressure will drop back to where it is now. That will be 50+ gallons from the time you open the first faucet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to increase water pressure and volume? [ 2 Answers ]

Our house is located on a hill approximately 150 feet above the elevation of the water main. The water pressure seems fine most of the time. But at times, our water pressure is too low. If someone is taking a shower and the washer is running, it takes forever to fill up the washer and the water...

Preventing freezing in a water line running out through an exterior wall [ 8 Answers ]

I need to run a water line from my house to my barn. The line will run through my basement, exit the house, and run underground to the barn. It's a walk-out basement with a concrete slab floor, and the wall where the pipe will exit the house is a stud-wall that's entirely above grade. I'm in...

Getting good water volume for long water line run [ 1 Answers ]

I am planning to install water line on my farm. The water supply is coming from a 1hp submersible pump that is currently feeding the house with 1" PVC into the pressure tank. I am planning to run about 500" of 1" PVC down to a barn and from there another 1000" of 3/4" line out to some pasture. ...

Increase in home water pressure with washer running [ 2 Answers ]

What would cause an intermittent increase in water pressure? I Noticed that when our clothes washer is running that the water pressure increases enough that the toilet valve will not shut off and that water was dripping from the faucet with the valve closed. This faucet does not drip when the...

How to increase water flow when multiple fixtures running? [ 7 Answers ]

Dear Ask Me, I want to increase water flow when multiple fixtures are running. We have a 2900 sq foot two level L-shaped rancher built in 1963 in Atlanta. For our family of four, the water pressure is fine. When someone is taking a shower there is a noticeable drop in pressure and volume when...

View more questions Search