Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boyoftx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2009, 01:33 PM
    New independent contractor getting paid on 1099
    Hi, I got laid off in January. In March, I got a temporary job working as a contractor for 3 months. I will be making around $10k during this period. Can I invest all in Self Employed 401k so I don't have to pay any taxes? If I invest all the money in Self Employed 401k then Do I have to pay SS and Medicare tax? If yes, then How do I pay and how much do I pay and how often do I pay? Can I invest money in Self Employed 401k in the January 2010 or I have to invest before that?

I appreciate your insight and thanks for helping.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 27, 2009, 02:48 PM
    I assume you are a U.S. citizen.

If so, you MUST pay self-employment taxes on the $10,000 you earned. Investing in any type of tax-deferred pension will NOT affect the assessment of the 15.3% self-employment tax.

If the $10K is you only income, the combination of your personal exemption ($3,600) and the single standard deduction ($5,600) will mostly offset the $10K in income, so investing in a tax-deferred pension really does not make sense tax-wise.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 28, 2009, 12:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by boyoftx View Post
    Hi, I got laid off in January. In March, I got a temporary job working as a contractor for 3 months. I will be making around $10k during this period. Can I invest all in Self Employed 401k so I don't have to pay any taxes? If I invest all the money in Self Employed 401k then Do I have to pay SS and Medicare tax? If yes, then How do I pay and how much do I pay and how often do I pay? Can I invest money in Self Employed 401k in the January 2010 or I have to invest before that?

I appreciate your insight and thanks for helping.
    1099-misc income: You are self employed or independent contractor. You must file your tax return if yourself employed income is $400 or more. You will report your income and expenses on schedule C or C-EZ (Form 1040). Then you put net income (or loss) on line 12 of Form 1040. This income is subject to SE tax at 15.3% (this is shown on line 57 of Form 1040). Half of SE tax is deductible on line 27 of Form 1040. Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Tax Filing by Self Employed Sole Proprietor or Independent Contractor

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Independent Contractor (1099-MISC) Per Diem Issue [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I am an independent contractor (sole proprieter) nearing the end of my first year of business. I am a Petroleum Landman and receive a daily rate plus per diem. We, the contractors, submit invoices that breakdown our daily rate, $35 food per diem, $70 lodging per diem, and $10...

Independent Contractor not being paid! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi... I worked as an independent contractor(fitness sales consultant) for a few gyms, ran by the same 3 owners. We had known each other about a year and it was my first attempt on working for myself, so there was no written contract formed, only expectations of salary, bonus structure,...

Tracking expenses as Independent Contractor (W2/1099 split) [ 2 Answers ]

I started working as an independent contractor in January for the first time. My main gig averages about 30 billable hours per week and is a clear 1099 situation. I think I have a good understanding of what I can deduct for expenses, insurance, etc on the 1099 front. I've now taken a second gig...

Independent contractor if F-1, no 1099 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am an F-1 student on OPT. I worked part-time for several companies over the past year, and I received forms (1099-Misc, 1042-s) from a couple of them. I also worked as a tutor (literacy, reading) for a couple of families. There was no discussion about taxes in the beginning, and they...

View more questions Search