Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drbeamer Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Dec 9, 2006, 10:22 AM
    Outlet under sink only works with disposal?
    I have two (standard?) outlets under my kitchen sink (brand new apartment building). The garbage disposal is plugged into one of them, and works fine. Switching outlets is fine, too. The disposer works in each.

However, no other appliance works in either of the two outlets. I have tried a handheld vacuum and a roomba, both of which I'd like to hide/charge under the sink.

How is that possible? Is this outlet a special outlet that prevents "standard" appliances from being powered?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2006, 02:41 PM
    It is possible the outlet is switched, is there a switch underneath or above the counter that may work it? Or there can be a GFI outtlet tripped, or a breaker is off, or the outlet is just not wired corredctly.

Dec 9, 2006, 03:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    It is possible the outlet is switched, is there a switch underneath or above the counter that may work it? Or there can be a GFI outtlet tripped, or a breaker is off, or the outlet is just not wired corredctly.
    BINGO! That's the problem; the outlets are switched. (switch on - power on, switch off - no power).

New question: is it possible to somewhow get continuous power to the lower outlet to charge the handheld vacuum, while the uppoer outlet is still switched (for the dispoal)?
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Dec 9, 2006, 03:52 PM
    Yes, it is possible to split an outlet and have 1/2 switched and 1/2 constant hot. This would require a wire ran to the "hot" side of the switch and then the other end connected to the lower half of the outlet.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2006, 04:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrowrj
    Yes, it is possible to split an outlet and have 1/2 switched and 1/2 constant hot. This would require a wire ran to the "hot" side of the switch and then the other end connected to the lower half of the outlet.
    That also requires breaking off the jumper on the hot side, brass, between the outlets. Should be easy to spot while you have the outlet out to attach the new wire. Running a new wire up to the switch may be a pain if it is several wall cavities away and you have NM stapled in place. Might be easier to tie into the dishwasher feed and add another outlet.

Dec 9, 2006, 06:13 PM
    PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thanks everyone for their help. I ended up plugging an extension cord into the dishwasher outlet (pain to get to - but it worked), and now both vacuums are nice stowed underneath the sink, charging away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ms works database to ms works spreadsheet [ 2 Answers ]

Have tried copy/paste but I get a message stating "make sure the destination area is as large as the info you wish to paste" .Anyone help please?

120 volt outlet from 240 volt outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I understand that it is possbile to wire a 120 volt outlet from a 240 volt outlet. My 240 volt outlet has 3 wires in, white, black, and a ground. Do I wire the 120 volt outlet from the either wire and the ground? My voltage meter indicates that connection is 120 volts. Is there any down side to...

Sink backs up only when disposal is on [ 1 Answers ]

I have just moved into a condo built in 1974 that has a double kitchen sink with disposal. The water drains fine through both drains when running the water or draining a filled sink, but when I run the disposal, it backs up in the other sink. I have a dishwasher that is seldom used connected to the...

Garbage disposal [ 3 Answers ]

What is the best way to clean the garbage disposal? Sometimes I put in a lemon but it really doesn't seem to work well enough. Any products for eating away the gunk?

Disposal won't drain [ 2 Answers ]

Any suggestions when the disposal won't drain and you've already tried to plunge it?(didn't work) It's a dual sink and the non-disposal side drains properly, so I'm not sure the drain trap is the problem. If I dismantle the drain trap and discover it is not the problem, what next? Thanks in...

View more questions Search