Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rsun Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2009, 10:09 PM
    Spouse and I live in MA and MD - Filing status for Federal & State taxes
    Hi,

I lived and worked in MA and my spouse lived and worked in MD for the whole year of 2008.

Looking at some of similar questions, it appears that for federal taxes we can file as Married Filing Jointly. However we are not sure of what to do for our respective states.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    RS
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 10, 2009, 12:54 AM

For states also you will file joint return.

For MA you are resident and will report your income. Your spouse is nonresident and will not report her income.

For MD you are not resident and will not report your income. Your spouse is resident and will report her income.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Working or Living in Two or More states
    rsun Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2009, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    For states also you will file joint return.

For MA you are resident and will report your income. Your spouse is nonresident and will not report her income.

For MD you are not resident and will not report your income. Your spouse is resident and will report her income.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Working or Living in Two or More states
    Hi MukatA,
    I was going through the instructions for Form 1 for MA and it says that we can file jointly only if both of us are residents of MA and since my wife lived and worked in MD she will not be a resident. May be Married Filing Separately is more appropriate.

Thanks,
    RS
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 23, 2009, 03:43 PM
    As a general rule, you file on the state return the SAME way you file on the federal return. There ARE exceptions, but thet are few and fair between.

I know for fact that, on the Massachusetts return, you file the same way as you filed on the federal return/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual Status Federal Tax Filing [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I am really confused about my dual status Federal tax filing for the year 2007. My situation is: 1. I was in F1 status from 1/1/2007 to 1/10/2007 and was in H1B status after 1/10/2007. I was single in the whole 2007. 2. I am holding H1B status in the U.S for over 183 days. 3. Suppose...

General Tax Query related to Federal and State Tax and Filing Status. [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Married Indian resident. I had visited US in 2006 twice on H1B. I have never been to US earlier. Period of Visit: March 2006-April2006 approx 44 Days - Income from NY. Stayed in NJ August 2006 – Sept 2006 approx 32 Days. - Income from NJ. Stayed in NJ My company paid the salary...

ITIN for spouse for state and federal taxes [ 5 Answers ]

My wife did not have any income in 2007 and does not have a SSN. While filing for taxes I am claiming her as my dependent. I have a couple of questions: 1. Can I apply for an ITIN for her and file for my federal taxes simultaneously? If not, how long does it take to get an ITIN. I am afraid that...

Spouse and I live in different states - filing status? [ 1 Answers ]

I live and work in Florida, that has no state income tax, but my husband lives and works in Georgia, all of 2007, and has to pay state taxes. Can we still file Married, Filing Jointly or do we have to file Separately because of his state taxes? If we file separately, will we still qualify for the...

Filing status different for Federal return and State return [ 1 Answers ]

Can I use a different filing status for Federal and State? I got married in October last year, but I and my wife were residing in separate states till early 2007. So, on Dec 31st we were married but did not stay together. For the state I guess we cannot file JOINT because of different states....

View more questions Search