jerry barton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2009, 10:17 PM
    Hot waterheater leaking
    2 year old hot water heater draining itself at pressure valve
    nnila Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2009, 10:51 PM

Hi,
    To prevent leaking follow this

Place bucket under overflow pipe. Open and flush T&P valve clear of debris. If leak remains from valve, replace valve.
    Reduce thermostat setting to prevent tank overheating and opening T&P relief valve.
    Inspect bottom of tank by looking through combustion chamber. If water marks or heavy rusting is noticed or if water is noticed setting in combustion chamber bottom, then the water heater needs to be replaced.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 7, 2009, 04:40 AM
    Have you had a sprinkler system or a backflow preventer installed lately? If you you need to install a expansion tank installed on the cold water feed. T and P valve leakage can also be caused by over heating or mineral buildup getting in the seat , Like nnila suggests, pop the valve and flush it out. If all else fails, shut the power and water off to the tank and replace the T & P valve. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tankless waterheater [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I bought a tankless waterheater to replace one waterheater with tank. The original breaker was 30 amp and the tankless requires 60 amp breaker and No. 6 gauge wire. My question is if I do not change the breaker and wire, what adverse effect it may have on the water heater itself? The...

Waterheater into popaine [ 1 Answers ]

Can you convert a natural gas water heater into one that uses propane

State waterheater [ 3 Answers ]

Water filling up in tray and running over onto floor. Cannot find where it is coming from.

Cleaning waterheater filter [ 2 Answers ]

I have a State Select waterheater Model # GS640 YBRT and I just noticed that I'm to clean the filter every six months--I've had it for two years. I pulled up the State Select web site and it looks to me like I have to remove the whole rim at the bottom of the waterheater. Could this be correct? ...

Waterheater No pressure anymore [ 1 Answers ]

Hey There, I had yesterday a new Waterheater installed by a contracted company of Home Depot. We had a 30 Gal tank that was releasing pressurized water and therefore we have been recommended to have a New WaterHeater. So, Yesterday the Man brought a new 40 Gal GE Watertank and he informed...

View more questions Search