Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aquest33 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2006, 12:59 PM
    What is 'fire tape'? Can 'green board' be used on ceilings?

What are the various coatings on nails and screws and what are their uses?
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Sep 1, 2006, 10:21 AM
    Not sure what fire tape is.

Green board is white board with an anti-bacterial coating-use mostly in bathrooms (at least it is in Canada). There is no problem using it on ceilings.

I prefer to use screws when attaching dry-wall. Nails will eventually 'pop' out leaving little bubbles or cracks in the dry-wall and paint- no matter what coating.
    jamlove Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Sep 1, 2006, 12:03 PM
    Something like this?
    http://www.eztapingsystem.com/fire_tape.htm

It's just tape with some higher fire-resistance rating. I've never used it or even heard of it, so it's a new one for me too! I would suppose you're being asked to use it on a garage wall, or some other wall that needs fire-rated sheetrock as well?

I am with bhayne on the screws, they're way better. I bought a Senco cordless screw gun, that takes strips of collated screws and allows you to drive them in with one hand... one of my favorite tools! More expensive than nails, sure, but way easier and will hold forever.

Cheers, j
    tgloss76 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2006, 01:11 PM
    Hey aquest33,
    Greenboard is used in bathrooms sometimes in areas w/ a moisture level, fire tape? Well I'm sure whoever,. is referring to fire blocking, which means all joints in any room at the highest level must be taped and muded, especially garages. When attaching drywall always use screws! You can "tack" the drywall up temporarly using teflon coated nails, but go back and screw it off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finishing Basement - 8' or 9' Sheetrock? [ 4 Answers ]

Am taking the plunge and finishing my basement, have just started. You may see me on this board with many questions to come... First is the size of drywall to buy. My ceiling is 9' tall to the joists with at least 1' of this holding pipes, electrical, duct work, etc. Have definitely decided on...

Wonderboard or Sheetrock? [ 12 Answers ]

This is not REALLY a plumbing question, but the experts here might be able to help. My tile man has installed "waterproof" sheetrock (green) on the walls that he is about to tile in a renovated bathroom. I heard that for a bathroom, one should use WonderBoard instead, because of its superior...

Hardwood flooring glue on sheetrock [ 1 Answers ]

We just had hardwood floors installed, and some of the glue got on our door jams and sheetrock. Do you have any suggestions for getting it off the sheetrock. We have started scraping it off the door jams, and will probably sand them and repaint, but I'm not sure what to do with the sheetrock. ...

New mold resistant fiberglass sheetrock [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am redoing my basement bathroom and am ready to put up walls and ceiling. I've purchased the new fiberglass water resistant sheetrock for all of the walls and ceiling. The shower is a one piece fiberglass unit and the ceiling is low due to the overhead plumbing for the upstairs facilities....

Looking for sheetrock nails that don't rust! [ 7 Answers ]

I've installed quite a bit of sheetrock, and it seems that the nail heads always eventually rust, when located near a shower or tub. The screws do a much better job, but it sure seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to manufacture an aluminum alloy nail that would not rust. I've looked for...

View more questions Search