Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jociieee Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2014, 11:18 AM
    18 and my mom won't let me leave
    I'm 18 years old and I graduate in 2 weeks. My mother has been ruining my life since the day I was born. It started with letting her husbands treat me like crap, and always defending them instead of me. For the past 2 years my mother has been making me raise her 2 children with her new husband (who by the way is a selfish man who doesn't take care of his kids and has never changed a diaper in his life). Anyway they have made me miss a lot of school so I can baby sit and treat me like crap even though I clean and do my best at making sure the kids are well taken care of (2 yrs. old & 6 months). I'm constantly called a ><, a liar, and not very useful.

My dad isn't in the picture and the only people who defend me is myself. I'm not a bad kid, and before she had her kids I had a 3.8 GPA. Now I'm at a 2.0. When I ask about moving out she threatens to give all my clothes to goodwill (I bought all of it), and she tells me she will take me off health insurance, never lets me see my siblings, and disowns me as a daughter "forget you ever had a mom, because I don't exists". her words exactly. To add, last night I went to my boyfriends house for a family party. I left at 6 and was back by 8. They weren't going to be home till late and I asked my boyfriend to hang out outside with me because I'm scared of being alone (he's not allowed in the house). Well my mom screamed at me telling me I looked like whore out there and it's very inappropriate.

I just don't get what I did wrong. (My boyfriend is my age has a job and graduated high school early and he's very shy and kind). I don't get it, sometimes I think she's bipolar. I just want to leave. I don't know where to turn to so someone help me. (My grandma and aunt want to me to move out but know my moms psycho, my grandma wants me to live with her). I just don't have the guts to leave.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 18, 2014, 11:32 AM
    You need to plan this out. Do you have a job, can you afford to support yourself?

Once the answer to both those questions is yes, you plan on moving. I would wait until you know your parents won't be home, then go in and pack all your things and leave.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 18, 2014, 12:33 PM
    Scott's right. You need a plan, and then just do it, when you have the right things in place, and are ready. You aren't ready if you are afraid to be an adult or make adult plans, or decisions.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

May 18, 2014, 01:00 PM
    You do need a plan. The only loose end that I see is, the boy friend. How far is it going to be from your mother, if you go to your Aunt's or Grandma's home? Do you have a job besides baby sitting? Is your relationship with the boy friend serious?
    Seems like your momma does not want to lose her baby sitter.

May 18, 2014, 01:28 PM
    I do have a job & have saved up a bit of money . My grandma &aunt promised they'd take care of me, meaning food & a place to stay .

I know I'm ready, I'm just scared of what she might do .

Me & my boyfriend have been together three years. But I am young & I don't think we'll be together "forever"

My grandma lives just 40 minutes away.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 18, 2014, 01:50 PM
    There's nothing she can do. You're legally an adult. If you're ready to support yourself, don't need her help for anything, pack your bags and leave. She can't force you to come back.

From the sounds of it her major threat is not being a part of her life anymore. From what you've posted, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. As for your siblings, she an keep them from seeing you, but that shouldn't be the thing that keeps you there as a free babysitter. The main thing is health insurance. Once you leave she doesn't have to keep you on her insurance, in fact she shouldn't, because you're an adult and living on your own. You'll have to figure that part out for yourself.

It really all depends on how badly you want to leave. It sounds like you have tons of options. Now you just need the guts to do it, and only you can find that within yourself. We can't find it for you.

May 18, 2014, 02:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jociieee View Post
    I know I'm ready, I'm just scared of what she might do .

Me & my boyfriend have been together three years. But I am young & I don't think we'll be together "forever"

My grandma lives just 40 minutes away.
    Then Pack the Bags and Go. You are an Adult and do not need to suffer abuse.

May 18, 2014, 03:06 PM
    Thank you all I guess I just needed some input from people who are on the outside looking in. I will take you up on moving out when they aren't home. I know it's the right thing for me. Sometimes I just feel I'm being a brat or ungrateful . But at the end of the day I have to think about myself (maybe) & see what's best for me. Thank you all again :).
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 18, 2014, 05:42 PM
    Sure, you can just pack your bags and leave... but remember there are two sides to every coin. Your mother doesn't have to take you back once you leave either. Nobody else does either. As an adult you are responsible for supporting yourself... nobody else is obligated to give you a cent, give you anything to eat, or give you a place to stay.

Be careful about burning your bridges.

May 18, 2014, 09:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Sure, you can just pack your bags and leave... but remember there are two sides to every coin. Your mother doesn't have to take you back once you leave either. Nobody else does either. As an adult you are responsible for supporting yourself... nobody else is obligated to give you a cent, give you anything to eat, or give you a place to stay.

Be careful about burning your bridges.
    Very true, but her mother will get over it in time if she is a real mother. Don't forget her mother was more interested in her baby sitting, than her welfare.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 19, 2014, 03:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by catonsville View Post
    Very true, but her mother will get over it in time if she is a real mother. Don't forget her mother was more interested in her baby sitting, than her welfare.
    According to the OP. I'm not saying I don't believe her, but we've had many posts from teens citing intolerable home life that were exaggerated. There are two sides to every story and we are only hearing one side.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex not on lease will not leave.landlord gave her 30 days.still won't leave? [ 12 Answers ]

My ex girlfriend and I were on a lease and it expired 7/15/09. I signed a new lease with only me on it. She will not leave. She stated the landlord had to give her 30 more days to leave. The landlord then sent a certified letter stating she had to leave in 30 days. She will not leave. What rights...

Dad is considering to leave my mom [ 20 Answers ]

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but it seemed the most suitable. My mom and dad (step dad) have been together since I was 8 (I'm 25) and he has been the rock in our life. My mom has had an addiction to pills and medication since I was 12, She is a periodical abuser though...

I think my dad is going to leave my mom [ 3 Answers ]

Ok I'm 16 and my mom and dad will/(might) be together 17 years in march! They have had some fights and I've just ignored them and walked across tha street to my grandmas! Its my get away place lol! Some of the fights I think about but not a lot of them! Recently they have gotten worse and its all...

Brother won't leave mom's house after mom's death [ 3 Answers ]

Hello My mother died recently. My brother is the executor of the estate. He lived with my mother prior to her death. The will clearly states that of all of mom's posssessions go into an estate, get sold and then be evenly distributed among six siblings. My brother is refusing to put the...

Mom won't leave puppy alone [ 2 Answers ]

My dog had puppies almost 5 weeks ago and now she won't leave the runt in with the other pups and if she is therewith others she carries it in her mouth why is that

View more questions Search