Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hardwired Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2006, 11:02 PM
    401K Distribution penalty
    I had no choice but to take a hardship withdrawal from my 401K after being let go by my employer. It was a difficult time also having been displaced by a house fire and having to rebuild our home and pay for a portion of our alternate living expenses not covered by the insurance company. Being a family of five along with two surviving pets(one didn't make it, may he rip) and living in tight quarters of a trailer for well over a year, we certainly sympathize with the hurricane victims in LA, MI, and FL.

We used the proceeds of the 401K to help rebuild the house and to a lesser extent help pay a dependant's college tuition. Is it possible to have the 10% distribution penalty waived under the circumstances? The distribution impact was also enough to negate any Hope, Learning credits, etc. The IRS seems to be merciless...

Also, is their anyway to deduct the additional trailer rental expenses that the insurance company did not cover (about $7K)?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 23, 2006, 10:02 AM
    Hardwired:

Off-hand, I do not see that any of the exceptions apply in your case, though you may be able to waive some of the penalty for the higher education costs of the dependent.

What code is present in Box 7 of Form 1099-R?

You can deduct the additional trailer expense under the Casualty Loss provisions of the Internal Revenue Code.
    hardwired Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2006, 08:31 PM
    Code 1 in Box 7.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 23, 2006, 09:53 PM
    Yes, that IS the code for early distribution, no known exception.

How much was distributed and how much is the dependent's college expenses?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k Distribution [ 4 Answers ]

My husband Paul was permanently laid off from his job in December 2005, at the age of 60. He has approximately $130,000 in his 401(k) plan. He worked for the company for 20 years and is fully vested in the plan. I am his wife and am 51 years old. Neither of us is currently employed. For...

Need legal advice with 401K distribution $$ [ 7 Answers ]

I have recently started the rollover process from my former employers 401k/profit sharing plan (MassMutual) to my current one (Fidelity). The problem that I am having is the "vested" amount that is reflected on my statements is showing 80% and the amount that they paid out was only 60%. I have...

401k penalty [ 2 Answers ]

First time homebuying classifies for the non pentalty right? How do they tax, before you receive it or add it to your yearly income come tax time.

How to fill in tax forms on 401k distribution [ 3 Answers ]

g'day I'm trying to fill out the 2005 tax forms. Each year I fill in a 2555EZ form as I live in Australia. I then transfer the total earned income amount to the 1040 form (it is zero as I'm now a student). Have done this for a few years and there are no problems. Last year I cashed in half...

401k tax & penalty [ 1 Answers ]

The company I worked for closed April,2005 and we were given our entire 401k balance. I have no plans to roll this over. I have placed 30% into a savings acount because I know I must pay 20% tax and 10% penalty. My question is: Is the tax and penalty due now or can they both be done at tax...

View more questions Search