Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Willie97 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2007, 08:50 AM
    Judgments and Levys
    I have a judgment against me and I found out the hard way I have a levy on my bank account. My questions are, can a levy be put on a business account that has my name on it? Can a levy be put on a join account? Can a levy be put on a join safety deposit box?
    Thank you
    Willie
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Oct 6, 2007, 10:30 AM
    Hello Willie97

Joint accounts can be frozen. As far as a safety deposit box I don't know
    What state are you in and how much is the Judgement for? Depending on your state your wages could be garnished

Oct 6, 2007, 10:39 AM
    Thanks for the answer, I am in Florida. How can I foind out if I have a levy on my accounts? The bank is not obligated to notify me they said. Can I get that information from the office holding my judgment, about $20000.00
    Thank you
    Willie
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Oct 6, 2007, 11:50 AM
    OK first in order to have a freeze on your account it has to be a court order which comes from a judgement now if you don't know for sure if your accounts are frozen all you have to do is either go to the bank or call and check you account balances

Oct 6, 2007, 11:59 AM
    My personal account always had a small balance of about 1500.00, by mistake, my mother , in NJ, deposited 6 days ago $5000.00 that was supposed to go to my brothers account at the same bank.
    I found today that they took all the money. I don't mind much if they took my money, but it hurts me that they took the money my retired mother deposited in my account by mistake. She should not pay for my wrong doing.
    I will try to file for a hearing and see if I can get at least her money back.
    Am I not supposed to be legaly informed that I have a garmished or a levy on my account? I was not notify.
    Thank you again
    Willie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security Disability Levys Response [ 1 Answers ]

Please understand that while SSD can not be directly garnished by your credit card company or a hospital, IT CAN BE ATTACHED BY CHILD SUPPORT, TAXES AND SOCIAL SERVICES.

Judgments and garnishments [ 1 Answers ]

Hi A few months back I received a judgment on an old credit card that was bought by a collection agency. I just received a letter from them and called to set up payment arrangements. I was instructed that they did not have to accept this amount and could garnish my wages without having to file...

Collecting a judgments [ 2 Answers ]

HELLO, I like to know if you know of some company that will help me report a "judgment" to the credit bureaus? All answers will be appreciated Thanks

Subpeonas and Judgments [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am a 27 year old NEW mother. I was just informed that I was served at my parents address last month to appear in court for a mediation for a judgment. I obviously didn't attend since I did not get the paper work in time and was unaware of the mediaiton. Nothing was signed by my parents as...

Creditor judgments [ 1 Answers ]

How long do credit card companies wait before filing judgements against you?

View more questions Search