Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trusty21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2009, 08:37 AM
    How do I leave this marriage
    I have been married going on 17 years and each year it just doesn't get better. I have 3 minor kids with the oldest being 16 & youngest being 9. This relationship is abusive. It is every bit emotionally abusive and has been physically abusive. I don't know why but I don't and can't seem to get the strength to leave. When I say that I am going to leave, I get threatened. I have no family here so I don't have anyone here to go to which makes it harder. I have a job and I have associates that I work with but no one close enough for me to talk to. I feel ashamed and embarrassed and don't know where to go for help. We have tried counseling but that didn't help. The emotional abuse I face is being called every bad name you can think of. I've gained weight which makes it even worse with the name calling. We have a home and he will not leave it and I can't afford an appt for me and my 3 children. I don't know where I can get assistance with. How can I find the courage & strength to leave?
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2009, 08:44 AM

I would like you to visit this website right away

National Domestic Violence Hotline

The National Domestic Violence Hotline is 1-800-799-SAFE. Feel free to call whenever you need support.

Please also contact a local battered women's shelter as you need to leave this marriage immediately. Please do not threaten or even tell your husband you are planning to leave, it is something you must do without his consent.

Feel free to continue to post here with any questions or just how you are feeling. Getting on your feet and up off your knees is very difficult to do. Look for all of the assistance that you can.
    jnny2698 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2009, 04:38 AM
    You have to be strong and don't let him bully you to staying, leave him he thinks you need him not the other way around. I was in a similar situation and I finally divorce him after long 13 years of marriage. There are help out there if you go to any government help and know that he will also have to pay child support. You can even get free attorney if you research and get food stamps so there are options so go out and get it. Good luck to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Love marriage or arrange marriage? [ 6 Answers ]

I have boyfriend but my parents want that I will do marriage with a boy of their choice.I really love my Boyfriend and he also love me. What should I do?

Should I leave my marriage [ 2 Answers ]

I've had a lot of thoughts over the last few months about leaving my wife. And I'm at the point of taking action. Why? I care about my wife but if I'm completely honest with myself I'm not in love with her. And I think if she's honest she's not in love with me either. The only way to know is...

Should I leave my husband not even 1year marriage yet? [ 2 Answers ]

I'v only beeen married about 7 months. When I got married my husbands mother was terminally ill. She passed away 5 days after we got married. Ever since then my husband has had complusive behavior ever since. He is worried about poker and old cars. I don't if this behavior plays part in his mother...

Wait for marriage or leave together [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I come from a family where marriage is very important and living together is not seeing as acceptable. Although, I don't see it the same way, I'm constently debating weather or not should I wait for marriage or just move in with my boyfriend. My partner would love for me to get a new...

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

View more questions Search