Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Droppermann Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2014, 09:14 PM
    How to recognize if Ghanian passport is real
    I have been dating woman from Ghana on the Internet, who recently finished nursing school, and wants to move to US to be employed as a community nurse. How do I know that her passport is real. It is my understanding that the 2nd line below the photo, should state the DOB from character 14-17? but this is what hers looks like: G0002503<GHA17041966F16059660, DOB is 20 Dec, 1978.

Any clarification is appreciated.

Peter
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 3, 2014, 12:13 AM
    This is a well known area for romance scams.
    Best advice is enjoy yourself, but do NOT send any cash, mobile phones or other items of high value.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 3, 2014, 07:00 AM
    First you can not tell. If they do a good job, they photo shop and make fake ones look better than the real ones.

Also, in the world of dating scams, they hire young women to do the role for video and phone chats. In others, they buy or pay money to use the passport of other beautiful young women. Then they will photo shop, many women photos of other women on those passports.

The real issue, is when they start asking for money, normally they will ask for 1000's more than the few hundred needed for passport and visa.

If she has a passport, then she applies for visa. And buys a plane ticket, it is very easy.

If you will not believe us, and want to send money, the visa will be a couple hundred dollars, and you can do a prepaid ticket, that they can not cash in, but have to use.

On one of my visits, I often explore the shady side of life, in Africa and now in China.

I was given a tour of one of the dating centers. They have old ladies and men, who type and pretend to be the lover. You may not even be talking (chatting) with the same person, from day to day. They keep a log of what is said, and have prepared scripts to use, to almost anything you say.

The business had about 30 or more people on computers each shift, and run 3 shifts a day.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 3, 2014, 07:25 AM
    You can never know if what an online person is telling you, or showing you is real or truthful so don't take stupid chances with your money, credit, or gifts and don't get carried away by wanting to help or even believe anything they tell you. It really is that simple and easy to protect yourself just by common sense and caution.

Ghana is known for scams. That's enough for the UTMOST caution. Even a local cop would need a expert to validate a good forgery.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 3, 2014, 07:27 AM
    At this point, how much money are they asking for?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 3, 2014, 07:53 AM
    Your caution is admirable, but I'm surprised you got involved in the first place. As noted this is a well known and established scam. If she is asking you for money, any amount, break it off immediately.

The only way she can come to the US is if she already has a job and the employer will sponsor her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Authentic ghanian passport [ 6 Answers ]

Recently I met a women from Tamale, Ghana who very quickly turned the conversation to being in love with me and wanting to come to the USA to be with me. She has now e-mailed me her passport so as to prove her commitment of coming here to be with me. I need to verify whether this passport ios real...

How can one tell if a ghanian passport is fake? [ 1 Answers ]

I really like a woman from ghana I have seen her on cam so I know she is real and I would like to know what are the requirements for bringing her here to the united states and what is the cost for all of this? And how can I tell what is fake and what is real as far as passports and visas?

What are requirements for a Ghanian passport and visa [ 2 Answers ]

What exactly is required for a Ghanian resident to obtain a passport and visa to the U.S.A. And Their related costs for each item

How do I find out if a passport is genuine or not of a ghanian women [ 17 Answers ]

I wonder if anybody could tell me ,how do I check the true identity of a girl in ghana ,we have been chatting for over a year now and she wants to come to england and marry me ,but with all the fake ,that's going on in ghana I want to be 100% sure she's genuine

View more questions Search