Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jalexander Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2008, 07:46 AM
    Water backs up in washing machine drain pipe
    Hi,
    I've got a washing machine drain pipe (PVC) that I can see has some standing water in it, about 18 inches from the top. When the spin cycle starts, the water overflows after about 10 seconds. I tried baking soda/vinegar and drain cleaner, and neither made a difference in the drainage or the standing water.

Incidentally, the day after I used the drain cleaner, my tub wouldn't drain at all - the pipe has standing water in it, too.

Help?
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2008, 09:33 AM
    The easiest thing to do first is snake out the line, it sounds like it's clogged.

If you still have problems, it could be a problem in the vent line going up to the roof.

It could be clogged and can be snaked from the roof.

The water that drains from your washing machine is full of lint, soap and fabric softener. After a while, the inside of your pipes will build up with this gunk. Because the drain on the tub is lower that the outlet for your washer, once the water is in the pipes, it just goes where it can because it is slow going down the drain. Go to Home Depot, Lowe's or a plumbing wholesaler and get a drain cleaner. Get a drain cleaner is made to clean slow drains without putting anything all that toxic down your drains. You follow the directions and put some down the drain every day. This should slowly fix your problem
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 12, 2008, 04:00 PM
    Hello Jalexander:

The washing machine pipe p-trap should have standing water in it... keeps sewer gas from entering the home.. so that is good thing.

The fact that washing machine clogged, and now tub clogged suggests that a drain line is clogged... Now, to determine which drain line.

When you flush the toilet associated with the bathroom with tub backing up... does it back up into the tub? Watch closely... if it does, then main drain is probably clogged.

If not then may just be a branch drain that is clogged. You will need to locate a cleanout associated with the washing machine or may need to snake the drain through the tub waste and overflow... but first, let me know more info... ok?

Talk soon.. Mark.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water overflows from drain pipe for washing machine [ 3 Answers ]

When my washing machine drains, the water from the pipe overflows. What can I do besides calling a plumber? Thanks in advance. Grams!

Washing machine drain pipe backs up into house [ 2 Answers ]

I have used drain opener on the drainpipe several time w/o success. I have augered the pipe as best I can with my 20ft snake.I have flushed the pipe using the cold water hose ,it flushed w/o diff and no back flow.I have repositioned the hose coming from the washer pressed it in the drain further...

Drain for washing machine overflows and backs up [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a house and the washing machine drain overflows. Also the kitchen sink backs up as does the dishwasher. The bathroom sinks and toilets seem to drain fine as do the showers. There was some recent additions made to the house prior to my purchase of it. I rented a snake and ran 40 ft of...

Washing machine drain pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a problem with the pipe going into the main drain, the water is backing up onto the floor. Have checked for blockage and there is none. Any diagrams on how it should look Thanks Wayno

Toilet closest to washing machine gurgles and backs up when washing machine drains. [ 2 Answers ]

When the washing machine drains, the toilet in the next room gurgles and the bowl partially fills. I have taken these steps: Ran hose down vent pipe on roof. No backup noticed. Had plumber snake from outside wall cleanout by washing machine and 1/2 bath toilet to city sewer line in alley,...

View more questions Search