Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Esyours Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2007, 11:49 AM
    Bathroom Tiling - Floor Trim
    I am tiling my bathroom floor, half way up a couple of walls and a wall trim tile around the perimeter of the floor.
    I am not using backer board on the 4" tiles that will trim around the floor but do I put grout or caulk around the top of each tile to finish it off? Also, same question for the top row of tiles around the walls that will be tiled 1/2 way up? I am using backer board on the walls.
    Thanks,
    Esyours
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jun 12, 2007, 04:39 PM
    I Only Use Backer Where Water Is An Issue. As For Grout Or Caulk, Id Grout It, Make Sure When You Grout You Clean It Off The Sheetrock And Not Let It Dry.
    They Do Make A Grout Caulk They May Be Better For Your Situation. Tec Caulk And Tec Grout Match Really Well, You'll Have To Get This From A Tile Store Lowe's And Homedepot Want Carry This.
    As For The Tile That's On Backer Board Make Sure The Tile Runs Above The Backer Onto The Sheetrock About An Inch Or So. This Is Just To Cover The Joint Between The To Surfaces.
    Esyours Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2007, 05:03 PM
    Thank you so much for your great ideas... I knew somebody would know this.
    Thxs,
    ESY
    EasyTiling Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 10:59 AM
    I would personally not worry about the backerboard at all, as on the walls in the bathroom (unless it's a shower), the chance of water soaking it is not that good. Unless your walls weren't in very good condition, you could just tile right over top of them, this depends on the condition of your walls of course.

When doing the wall tile around the perimeter (I'm assuming you mean baseboard), then you can actually go about it in a different way, it costs a bit more, but looks very professional when finished. Use a metal transition piece (sometimes called an edging piece) from Schlueter Systems. These finish the top of your tiles very nicely.

As to deciding whether to use grout or caulking, the answer is totally up to you as either one will work well. I like the caulking look myself.

Hopefully this helps,
    Matt
    SeilingsFloors

LINK REMOVED
    Name:  Tiling Guy.bmp
Views: 530
Size:  33.0 KB
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2010, 03:29 PM

Hi Matt

Welcome Please check dates of post They are veryold.

If more than month the job is probably done.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing moldinng after tiling floor. [ 1 Answers ]

I just laid ceramic tiling annd was trying to install new base board molding and have discovered that the walls are not always straight and the 45 degree cuts do not match. I there a way to compensate for this. Tom

Tiling over an exsisting concrete shower floor [ 1 Answers ]

Hello and Happy New Year, Here is our problem. We remodeled a bathroom and tiled the shower walls and floor. The exsisting shower base was painted concrete. We sanded the concrete, then tiled,using a grout with latex. A couple weeks after, we noticed tile and grout coming up. When we...

Tiling my basement bathroom floor [ 1 Answers ]

I'm getting ready to begin tiling my bathroom. The size is approximately 5x12 with one pocket door leading to another room. I'll be laying 16x16 ceramic tile, and I have a few questions. 1. Should I cut the tile along the wall where the door is to allow the tile to extend into the doorway? I do...

Tiling my bathrrom floor [ 1 Answers ]

I am putting ceramic tile on my bathroom floor and bought 1/4 inch backerboard. I didn't put thinset underneath the backerboard between the tongue and groove sub floor. I did use the proper screws to anchor down the board but I am worried about the problem of not having thinset underneath?

View more questions Search