Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    [email protected] Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2005, 02:55 PM
    Basement Bathroom Basics
    1970's home with NO rough plumbing and drainage in the basement.
    Cleanout and soil stack leaves house through foundation to septic at shoulder height.
    Kitchen and powder above on main floor and 2 baths on upper level (all in the same corner of house).

Question: Can I tie into the existing drains and vents with a lift system for the toilet? Do you suggest jackhammering the slab or raise the shower for drainage?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 26, 2005, 03:24 PM
    Basement Bathroom Basics
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    1970's home with NO rough plumbing and drainage in the basement.
    Cleanout and soil stack leaves house thru foundation to septic at shoulder height.
    Kitchen and powder above on main floor and 2 baths on upper level (all in the same corner of house).

Question: Can I tie into the existing drains and vents with a lift system for the toilet? Do you suggest jackhammering the slab or raise the shower for drainage?
    Yes you may install a holding tank and grinder pump and discharge into the main drain. However I fail to understand your question.
    "Question: Can I tie into the existing drains and vents with a lift system for the toilet? Do you suggest jackhammering the slab or raise the shower for drainage?"
    Are suggesting installing a false floor for the drainage for your bathroom group in your basement? You will also have to vent both the holding tank and the lavatory. You may not tie into any vent that another fixture discharges into. The vents will have to go out the roof or revent back into a existing vent at least 6" over the flood rim of the highest fixture that the vent services. Have you a system in mind? Regards, Tom
    [email protected] Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2005, 06:06 PM
    Basic question is: Can I add a bathroom in the basement? Which we can do as you answered with the holding tank and grinder pump.
    Yes, I was referring to a raised floating floor for the bathroom fixtures- Is that the best solution
    We don't have a system in mind, but don't worry- this is not a DIY- we will have a pro do the job. I was just trying to lay out the space and if I needed to allow room for steps up to the raised floor.
    Your advice is much appreciated so I can have an intelligent conversation with the plumbing contractor.
    Any other thoughts?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 27, 2005, 03:10 PM
    Grinder pump system
    If you're planing on a raised floor to save the hassle of jackhammering up your basement you may be interested in a selfcontained unit. You will still have to make a outside sump but nothing like a rough in installed under a jackhammered basement floor. Check it out at;
    http://www.sewagepumpsales.com/contr...or-package.htm
    More questions? I'm as close as a click. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Bathroom [ 24 Answers ]

Ive just purchased a home and would like to add a full bath in the basement. The main plumbing drain appears to run into and below the concrete floor. The question is can the stub ins be tied into the existing drain? Can I cut up the floor and run the rough stub ins and hire a plumber to tie them...

Basement bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

Okay, it's late but will try to fill in all the details to get a proper answer. My father in law has installed his own bathroom in the basement of his 2 year old bunglow. We tied into the existing 4" PVC drain below concrete to install sink, shower and toilet. above this addition is master...

Basement bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a new bathroom in our basement. The house is about 2 years old. The builder insists the rough-in is ready to go but I am not so sure. The attach pictures show the right and left sides of the room from the entrance perspective. I will be placing a 72" shower pan with glass block...

Basement Bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of finishing off a basement bathroom, I am going to tile the floor. There is a pipe approx. 6" high coming out of the floor for the toilet, when installing the floor how close to the floor should I have to cut the pipe off, how much room do I need to leave around that pipe, do I...

Basement Bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have just removed a stand up shower stall from my bathroom in the basement. Of course, underneath was the concrete slab and the drain pipe. Is there an easy way to cap the drain pipe to make it level with the concrete slab in order to lay tiles over it? If I cut the ABS piping I could...

View more questions Search