Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oowens74 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2007, 11:39 AM
    Discolored Tooth in 3 yr old
    Possible Nerve Damage to 3 yr old's front tooth... Will dentist suggest to have the tooth extracted?

Concerned Mother
    krissy74 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2007, 12:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by oowens74
    Possible Nerve Damage to 3 yr old's front tooth.... Will dentist suggest to have the tooth extracted?

Concerned Mother
    It depends if the damage is effecting her adult tooth under that baby tooth. Not usually but it also depends on the dentist. Would have to take an x-ray to determine that. But I doubt they will have you extract it... Just my opinion, I'm not a dentist just an assistant..
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2007, 12:06 PM
    What does the tooth look like, why do you think nerve damage?

Jan 14, 2007, 06:12 PM
    My son had the mouth of a typical 3 yr old. After the fall, one of his tooth has changed colors dramatically. He busted up his lip and cut his gums in this accident. I suspect nerve damage, because when I got a root canal the nerve was removed and my tooth has changed colors as well.
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2007, 08:55 PM
    Unless it's causing pain, in this situation they will probably let the baby tooth stay until the adult tooth pushes it out. Since the color is turning, he should see a pediatric dentist so they can suggest the right approach to take.
    My daughter had bottle decay on her front two teeth. I let her have a bottle at nap and bed time which caused it - I had no idea that could cause something like that. Anyway, I took her to the dentist and they did something to her teeth that made the yellow/brownish look white again and stopped it from doing anymore damage. Maybe they can help your son too. My daughter was 3 years old as well.

Jan 15, 2007, 07:16 AM
    No, it's not causing any pain at all. He is perfectly fine. It's just unsightly. I didn't want them to pull it, because he probably won't get it back until he's 6 or 7, then he'll have to be little "toothless" toddler before his time.
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2007, 10:03 PM
    A dentist may be able to stop the browning process somehow, they did in my daughters case. It will eventually turn black if nothing is done at all. I don't think this is a good sign as most nerve damage causes pain. There is definitely something happening to the tooth - I would strongly recommend taking him to a pediatric dentist as soon as possible. If you wait to long it's possible that the damage will be to severe and the only option will be to pull the tooth.

Jan 16, 2007, 05:16 AM
    This accident happened around 12/14/06. His appointment is 1/25/07. Do you think too much time has passed to save the tooth? Or should I insist he be seen immediately? His appointment is with a pediactric dentist as well.

Concerned Mother
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2007, 08:01 AM
    Backed up dentist appointments do seem to be a problem these days. I ran into the same issue with my daughters cleaning being scheduled so far in advance that I forgot about it and missed it.
    Have you told them of the discoloration? If you told them the story and they didn't try to work him in as an emergency visit, then maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit and the tooth will be OK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Soggy subfloor and discolored linoleum near shower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a fiberglass bottom shower with marble sheets for walls and a glass sliding doors. I have noticed the linoleum is disclored and soggy underneath but only in the corners near the front of the shower were you step in. I have recaulked the whole shower with a good silicone and also in the...

Discolored tooth [ 6 Answers ]

I have a discolored tooth that my dentist says has been caused by nerve damage. Is it possible to reverse the discoloration? Also, I rinse my mouth with baking soda. Could that have caused the discoloration? Is there any danger in rinsing my mouth with baking soda?

Discolored Hot Water [ 3 Answers ]

I am hoping someone can help... My hot water is a light yellow dinge color. Not very noticeable and you can only notice it when you fill a glass up with hot water and set it next to a glass filled with cold water. We recently converted from an electric water heater to a gas water heater in...

View more questions Search