Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wagner628 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2008, 09:28 AM
    Poured Concrete Steps on Concrete Patio
    Hello,

I recently had a large portion of my driveway torn out/replaced, a 12 x 18 patio poured, and 3 half moons steps poured, all of 6 bag mix concrete.

The flatwork looks great, virtually flawless.

The steps, on the other hand, don't.

After removing the forms/frame for the three steps, they were very rough, chunks were missing from the edges, etc. The contractor came back the next morning with a self mix bag of quickrete to "cream up the steps". He gave them a swirl pattern, which looks OK. The steps are however much brighter white than the flatwork, and there are concrete "spatters" on the flatwork. He says it will all blend together in a few weeks. It has been 8 days now, and it looks the same.

My two questions are:

1. Will it all really blend together and be the same color white?
    2. Will the creamed area done the next day crack/break apart since it was added the next day.

I have pictures if that would help. Any advice/suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks
    albinfla Posts: 310, Reputation: 35

Aug 24, 2008, 10:11 AM
    First, I am not a concrete expert. I have done a fair amount of concrete over the years, but would not be considered a cement contractor by anybody's standards. I have done a lot of slabs, and built large water tank supports, etc. But, hopefully you can get a cement contractors opinion here. For what it's worth, here is my opinion...

Your suspicions are founded. It is very unlikely that they will match in color if they don't already. Since there is only one day drying time difference, you would have noticed by now if they are going to blend together. More than likely he used a different type of concrete on the steps when he top-coated them. If it would not crumble, that would be fine. You could epoxy paint them to make them a nice feature. However, if the top-coat was real thin, chances are it will crumble and chip off. Some concrete is made so that you can apply it a couple of inches thick, but any less is probably going to be something that will likely give you problems.

It is sometimes difficult to get all of the air pockets, which form the holes on the edge of a form, out. You really have to "vibrate" the concrete a lot as you're working it to remove the air pockets. He knows that he didn't vibrate it enough and that left him with a bad edge finish. Structurally, it will probably not cause problems. But, it isn't very nice to look at. It's also hard to fix without covering it with something... stone, pavers, etc. Or totally redoing it.

I would recommend that you look at the label of the concrete that he "creamed" it with and see what the manufacturer says.

Good Luck,
    Al

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Untreated 2X6 on poured concrete pony wall (above ground) [ 7 Answers ]

Seeking confirmation that my / our understanding is correct. Both of us have heard / understood that untreated (lumber yard lumber) is not to be placed (fastened down) on top of concrete. The contractor placed a 2X6 (untreated) directly on top of a 6"W poured concrete wall with NO metal...

Concrete patio [ 4 Answers ]

Does any body have an idea on how to add single line designs in a poured concrete patio?Similar to the lines that divide poured concrete sidewalks!

Concrete poured down drain [ 4 Answers ]

I renovate & flip houses in the Houston area, it is not as easy as shown on TV. I am working on a house built in 2002 where the prior owner poured dry concrete mix down the stand-up shower drain as part of his retaliation at the bank forclosing. I have removed the residual concrete in the top 4...

Concrete patio [ 2 Answers ]

I am purchasing a new home. There is a small outside patio that does not have enough slope to drain rain water off. What would be a easy solution to this problem without having to complete redo the patio. Is there a concrete topping that can be applied to the existing slab to create a slope? ...

Concrete Patio [ 2 Answers ]

Hello All, I just found this forum and I see some good answers to good questions. I am hoping someone can help me with my problem. I am looking to build a concrete patio and walkways. I have built my house using slab on grade with radiant heat. We compacted gravel, used vapor barrier, ...

View more questions Search