Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Moose1123 Posts: 33, Reputation: 4

Jun 5, 2008, 12:02 PM
    Backyard Chickens
    Recently I adopted 6 baby chicks. I built them a nice coop and a run in the back yard. I kepts them inside in a brooding coop until they had feathers. Now they are outside in their new coop. I let them out to roam the back yard outside of the run just about everyday. They have been growing very fast and are quite entertaining to watch. They look nothing like when they were just little chicks. They are only about three months old! Anyway my questions are... When do I take them off the chick mash and put them on laying pellets? Do I do it all at once or mix the food in? How old are chickens generally before they lay eggs?

Regards,

Moose
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2008, 01:29 PM
    You need a rooster to get the hens to lay eggs. I hope you adopted a rooster as well.
    Moose1123 Posts: 33, Reputation: 4

Jun 7, 2008, 09:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    You need a rooster to get the hens to lay eggs. I hope you adopted a rooster as well.

Roster for eggs? Thought a Roster was just to fertilize eggs... Hens should lay eggs regardless of a roster being present or not, they just will not develop embrios. Correct me if I am wrong.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2008, 10:55 AM
    I googled up some chicken FAQs, and it appears that chickens lay eggs without having a rooster around. And apparently they start doing that around 3-4 months old.

My Pet Chicken: FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions about Chickens)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog goes to the neighbor's backyard [ 6 Answers ]

We have lived in the same house for 14 years and the fences were there when we moved in. There were all new houses and the neighbors put up their fences and we didn't have to put a fence because they were there other than the gates on both sides, that are ours and we put up. The house to our...

Baby Chickens [ 4 Answers ]

How Can You Tell If A Baby Chick Is A Boy Or Girl ?

Chickens [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone raise chickens in town? I am allowed to have chickens in town so I am building a chicken coop. I ordered some Leghorns and Rhode Island reds. Would like to know any "tricks" or info regarding the best way to handle them. Thanks.

Young Chickens killing and eating each other. [ 7 Answers ]

Why do my young chicks kill and eat each other? When I go out in the morning there are numerous dead and the others are pecking the dead carcasses. Help!

Backyard mud in dog pen [ 2 Answers ]

I have part of my backyard fenced off for my dog. She has worn down part of the area and now it is all dirt. It becomes a small mud pit when it rains. Any suggestions on how to fix this. Someone suggested filling the area with mulch. Has anyone heard of this?

View more questions Search