Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Terri Diegel Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Jan 31, 2008, 12:11 PM
    Window treatments
    I have a deep kitchen window, approx. 16" deep similar to a garden window. Can I put some type of a window treatment up and would I position the curtain on the wall or in close to the window. Question 2, I have a doorwall with a daylight window above it, would I put a treatment on it as well?
    Thanks so much
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 31, 2008, 05:46 PM
    This is a matter of personal preference. And of course the look of the window. I suggest you visit a store that specializes in window treatments.
    Decorate Now Patterns Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Feb 2, 2008, 07:55 PM
    Generally, we don't put treatments on transoms above doors--unless there is a specific reason to do so (to block light coming into a bedroom, privacy issues, etc.). Because the windows are so small, there aren't as many options for these types of windows. So unless there is a problem with the window, it is generally better to ignore it. If it was a transom above a window, then the answer would be different. But doors don't give much surface area, and you have to be concerned with the door being operable--therefore, dressing the transom window runs the risk of making the window look short and squatty.

If you still want to dress the transom, the safest bet is a gathered sheer on double rods (top and bottom), which will filter light, but not be too obtrusive.

The kitchen window can be treated in several ways, depending on the space around the window, size of the window, etc. You can frame the window with the treatment by moutning it close to the outside of the window... or you can insert the treatment inside the window (if there are walls instead of glass on the sides)... or you can go way beyond the boundaries of the window with raised casual swag or other treatment. It all depends on the style of the room and the treament chosen and other factors. It is really hard to answer what would be best without seeing a photo of the window, in the context of the overall room.

One tip to help decide what style to put on the window is to take a digital pic of the wall that the window is on. Then you can print out the photo to full-page size and draw directly on the picture. If you are good with photo editing software, you can take window treatment pics found online and drop them into the photo of your window.

(p.s. I teach window treatment design and fabrication.)
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2008, 09:54 PM
    You might want to look into some shutters for the kitchen window. You can open the louvers of the individual shutters without having to open the shutters themselves. This way you can avoid any cloth curtains.

The door with the transom window can be treated with some of that opaque paper if you like also. It comes in designs and can be very decorative and still let light in.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 04:45 AM
    Stained glass is actually a good addition to a transom. I have done a couple of them for clients over the years. I am a stained glass artisan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to close all the childwindows(popup window) when closing the parent window [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, all In javascript I need to close all the child windows that I have opened through a parent window Scenario: Here I will be having as many as child window opened and name given to the child window can not be tracked because each will be having a different name, and I am using 70 to...

Window treatments(?) [ 5 Answers ]

Ladies and Gentlemen, I need some help desperately. I have been tasked with putting a "Scarf?" over the living room windows and curtain. There are three 3.0 windows in tandem. Bonnie would like the scarf? To come up from the left and go to the right and kind of droop in the center and show...

Are there any other treatments for lupus? [ 1 Answers ]

I have Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis. I take Methotrexate pills and Enbrel injections. I also take Darvocet for pain but not always because I take an exercise class and the exercise on a regular basis helps a lot. Sometimes I have bad episodes of pain and stiffness and have to go to the doctor's...

View more questions Search