Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    izumi_puppy Posts: 43, Reputation: 2

Jan 14, 2010, 03:19 PM
    Galaxies Space
    Is there a possibility that other Galaxies might have life in them?
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2010, 03:24 PM

Yes

Jan 14, 2010, 03:26 PM

Like what kind of life is there?
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2010, 04:17 PM

I can't give you any specifics but presumably a lot of different forms of life out there

Jan 14, 2010, 04:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by albear View Post
    i can't give you any specifics but presumably alot of different forms of life out there
    Ah well thanks you for answering. :)
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2010, 04:22 PM

Welcome :)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2010, 04:26 PM

Hello I:

There are more galaxies in the Universe than there are grains of sand on all the beaches on Earth. Given those numbers, what do you think the odds are that only ONE has life?

excon
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 15, 2010, 10:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello i:

There are more galaxies in the Universe than there are grains of sand on all the beaches on Earth. ...
    excon
    Hello excon: not to pick at nits, but sometimes we deal with numbers so large they lose all real meaning. Your point that there are a lot of galaxies in the universe is a good one - I've seen estimates of around 100 Billion, or 10^11. That's huge! However, have you ever tried to calculate the number of grains of sand on the earth? That number is really huge - much much greater than 100 billion. Back of the envelope calculation: if a grain of sand has volume of 1 mm^3, there would be 10^9 grains of sand in a cubic meter of beach sand. A single small beach that is 100 meters long by 10 meters wide by 1 meter deep (a pretty small beach) would contain 10^12 grains of sand, which is greater than the estimated number of galaxies in all the universe.

Here's a calculation that estimates more than 10^18 grains of sand on all the beaches of the earth: Grains of Sand on the World's Beaches That's approximately 10^7 times more than the estimated number of galaxies in the universe. However, since an average galaxy is assumed to have around 10^11stars, that means that the total number of stars] in the universe is inded much greater than the number of grains of sand on all the beaches on earth.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2010, 03:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Hello excon: not to pick at nits, but sometimes we deal with numbers so large they lose all real meaning. Your point that there are a lot of galaxies in the universe is a good one - I've seen estimates of around 100 Billion, or 10^11. That's huge! However, have you ever tried to calculate the number of grains of sand on the earth? That number is really huge - much much greater than 100 billion. Back of the envelope calculation: if a grain of sand has volume of 1 mm^3, there would be 10^9 grains of sand in a cubic meter of beach sand. A single small beach that is 100 meters long by 10 meters wide by 1 meter deep (a pretty small beach) would contain 10^12 grains of sand, which is greater than the estimated number of galaxies in all the universe.

Here's a calculation that estimates more than 10^18 grains of sand on all the beaches of the earth: Grains of Sand on the World's Beaches That's approximately 10^7 times more than the estimated number of galaxies in the universe. However, since an average galaxy is assumed to have around 10^11stars, that means that the total number of stars] in the universe is inded much greater than the number of grains of sand on all the beaches on earth.
    But even this pales in comparison to the number of times homeopaths dilute their solutions where you're often talking 10^60 water molecultes to each active ingredient molecule or more... strangely puts it all in perspective... :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why do all the galaxies rotate? [ 9 Answers ]

The law of conservation of angular momentum is one of the major concept in classical physics, :) and the universe is assumed to born from the Big Bang.:rolleyes: As the angular momentum of a point is meaningless, why do all the galaxies rotate?:mad: where does the initial angular momentum comes...

Girlfriend left because she needed space. Giving her space, but how do I get her back [ 14 Answers ]

My girlfriend of 1 1/2 years broke up with me. She said that she needed space. The reasoning behind this is that she says she just felt unhappy for a while, because of some of my actions. I love her dearly, and I have been giving her the space she has requested. She says that she loves me, but...

Star wars galaxies [ 6 Answers ]

I know I have submitted a lot latley and that is because I'm bored. Any way I have installed starwars galaxies the free trial version and I have vista I don't know if that is the problem but it will let me sign in but then it just says character select unavailabal how do I fix this

Galaxies [ 1 Answers ]

How can u distinguish between an elliptical system and a normal spiral seen edge-on?

Laboratory Classification of Galaxies [ 1 Answers ]

Do elliptical systems show evidence of resolution into stars?

View more questions Search