Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    evenicole82 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2009, 01:33 PM
    Can I terminate my daughter's father's parental rights without his consent?
    Hi,

I live in Florida, and I need to know if I can terminate my daughter's father's parental rights without his consent. We were never married, and he never signed her birth certificate anyway. He has not seen her in over a year, and has not given me any money for her since the beginning of January 2009.

I do not want him to have any legal rights over her. He probably would agree to signing the papers, but I'd rather do it myself if I could, so I won't have to worry about trying to track him down.

Please help!
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2009, 01:53 PM

If you have never married or signed the birth certificate he doesn't have any rights to terminate.

However, no, there isn't unless there is an adoption pending and even then you would need his consent.

Edit: unless there was a court order granting him legal rights...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 2, 2009, 02:14 PM

Excuse me, but do you have a problem reading instructions? At the top of the Children forum there is a sticky notes which says READ FIRST! That sticky directs questions of a legal nature to this forum.

Had you then gone to this forum you would have found another sticky which discusses terminating rights. Had you read that you would have had your answer immediately.

NO you cannot terminate parental rights period. Only a court can do so. And courts are very reluctant to issue TPRs. Generally they will ONLY do so to clear the way for an adoption or if the parents is a danger to the child.

As Steve said, unless there is some court order establishing him as the legal father he has no rights. However, he could get rights if he decided to go to court to establish his paternity.

So, at this point I would suggest doing nothing. Unless and until he makes a move to try to see her, you need not do anything. If he does make a move you refuse any contact. If he takes you to court you can then argue against him having rights. Though its unlikely a court will agree.

If you remarry, after you have been married for a while, you can then see about your husband adopting the child. I would suspect that the bio father would be happy to relinquish rights to clear the way for an adoption since it would end his relationship with your child.
    zebradivine Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Dec 12, 2009, 12:33 PM
    Actually, in many states - since no one has acknowledged paternity - you may be able to have your future/husband to complete an Affidavit of Paternity - at least a few states do not require DNA or anything like that as long as no one has acknowledged prior.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 12, 2009, 01:03 PM

An Affadavits of Paternity and/or a Birth Certificate are legal documents. Falsely filing one is a crime (perjury).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 12, 2009, 01:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by zebradivine View Post
    Actually, in many states - since no one has acknowledged paternity - you may be able to have your future/husband to complete an Affidavit of Paternity - at least a few states do not require DNA or anything like that as long as no one has acknowledged prior.

Of course the actual birth father could come back and prove it false and the new "father" could find himself charged with criminal charges for lying on the court documents

At this point the only "right" the father has is the right to go back to court and get other rights. But you can't take away them merely because he does not see or pay money.
    With that he does not owe any money since you have not proved he is the father in court and you don't appear to have a court order for him to pay child support. So how can he be behind if he is not ordered to pay.

The only way to really take away rights is to have a step parent that wants to adopt

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I have my daughter's biological father's rights revoked? [ 8 Answers ]

How can I have my daughter's biological father's rights revoked? He has nothing to do with her. He has seen her maybe 3 times in the last 6 months, and he is expected to go back to jail. He does and sells drugs. I am simply terrified for him to be around her.

How do I terminate my parental rights? [ 5 Answers ]

I live in Florida and have an 11 year old daughter that I pay 505 dollars a month for who lives in Virginia. I have no custody or visitation and have not seen her since she was 3. She calls her mothers new husband dad and really doesn't even know who I am. I am re-married with two other children...

How to terminate my son's biological fathers rights without his consent [ 1 Answers ]

Ok so just a little background about my situation... My ex and I were together for 5 years.. I tell him I'm pregnant and he tells me that it's not his and leaves. I went through the whole pregnancy by myself and he wasn't even there when my son was born. Public Aid made me go through paternity to...

How do I terminate my daughters biological father's rights? [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter is four years old. Her biological father has not seen her, supported her in any kind of way since Feb. 2006. I have been married for two years and 4 months. My husband is in the military and we are currently stationed in Georgia. We were in Texas before. My daughters biological father...

How do I terminate my parental rights in tx without having to pay much? [ 26 Answers ]

OK well I've made my decision... I've thought long and hard for obviously a really long time and now have decided to terminate my rights as my daughters father. The main reason for me doing this is yes she will have better medical care and now I have seen how happy she looks with her new dad and I...

View more questions Search