Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coupchoos Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 12:52 PM
    Tax on Irish Pension Plan
    Hello,

As an Irish government employee stationed in USA, I paid taxes in Ireland and all pension contributions, from myself and my employer, into my Irish pension, were also tax-free here in USA.

Now that I plan to retire here in USA, how will I explain to the IRS that my pension is exempt?

What do I need from my employer, a 1099-R?

Thanks, coup
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 07:38 PM

You should file a U.S. return and include Form 8833 and specify Article 19, paragraph 2 of the Ireland-U.S. Income Tax Treaty as the provision that exempts the pension from U.S. tax. You do not need a 1099-R from your employer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401 or state pension 25 year pension [ 1 Answers ]

I always wonder if I had a 401k insteed of a state pension. The period is from: 1969-1994. I received $1,000 a month for life. Have already received $192,600 But what about other scenario. 401K investment plan during the same period. Would it be better, the same, or worst?? ...

Early withdrawal Stock Pension Plan -NUA Method [ 1 Answers ]

If if I take an early withdrawal from a qualified pension plan (consisting of all company stock), that was awarded over several years can I use the NUA method for computing tax requirements. For example if I had 100,000 in company stock with an average cost basis of 20,000, would I pay capital...

Canadian Pension Plan [ 1 Answers ]

Who funds the Canadian Pension Plan? I mean, let's say I am a member of Parliament. Obviously the effect of inflation on the cost of plan would play a role. Would I want to use: GDP deflator to measure inflation (understates inflation) CPI (overstates inflation) Average of both (a bit more...

View more questions Search