Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joesrunoff2FL Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2011, 07:04 AM
    Shower Leak/Plumbing
    2nd story shower stall (fiberglass) when the shower is running there will be a small leak downstairs directly under the shower coming from the floor boards. I've taken off the shower drain faceplate and counterclockwise tightened the pvc drain. This didn't help. I will say that the face plate has ZERO caulk underneath or above on it. Could this be my small leak issue? And it only leaks when the shower is running so I don't think it's an internal issue or I would have water consistently. Or could it be the drain further down below the flooring?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 27, 2011, 07:17 AM
    And it only leaks when the shower is running so I don't think it's an internal issue
    That is not necessarily correct.

You could have a leak at the drop ell, where the shower arm screws into the shower riser pipe.

Pull the escutcheon around the shower arm away from the wall and with a flash light look inside the wall for signs of water.

The ultimate test of that joint is to get a 1/2" PVC threaded pipe cap, remove the shower head and screw the pipe cap onto the shower arm. Turn on the shower and look for leaks.

Sep 27, 2011, 07:27 AM
    The reason I said it only happens when it's running is that the floor joist and base floor underneath are dry where I normally see it when the shower isn't running. I'll head to the hardware store and try pvc pipe cap. Thanks. If no signs appear. I guess I will run caulk under and around the shower drain to see if that's where it could be.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 27, 2011, 07:40 AM
    You put your finger directly on the problem when you said,
    I will say that the face plate has ZERO caulk underneath
    You have lost the drain seal.
    A drain seal can be ruptured/lost if the shower floor isn't bedded in at installation and gives and flexes when you step into it. Purchase either a can of Silicon Gel or Plumbers Putty. Unscrew the top of the drain and make a "rope" of putty or gel and place it under the drain lip. Now tighten the drain lip clockwise until tight. Remove the excess that got squeezed out and the leak is gone.
    Be aware that if the shower floor still gives under weight that this might happen again. Good luck, Tom

Sep 27, 2011, 07:50 AM
    Tom, so when you say tighten the "drain lip" your not referring to the drain plate with the two screws? Sorry, I just want to be sure.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 27, 2011, 08:12 AM
    Just to test for a bad seal try filling a large bucket of water at another faucet. Dump the bucket slowly into your shower pan. If you get a leak then it's the drain seal and not part of the mixing valve or shower arm.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 27, 2011, 11:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    when you say tighten the "drain lip" your not referring to the drain plate with the two screws
    No! That's called
    "the strainer,( see images) Remove the strainer and unscrew the top part of the shower drain and follow the directions I already laid out. You can test for a ruptured seal like Bob posted but it's clear to me the seal's gone. And always remember that the rubber gasket goes UNDER the shower floor and not beneath the lip. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Sep 28, 2011, 07:16 AM
    Well, I slowly poured about 7 gallons of water down the drain slowly and no leak downstairs. Then I put a 1/2 cap on the shower head pipe and heard dripping inside the wall and looked into the hole and saw it "spitting" out of the connection from the shower head pipe and the copper lead pipe. Purchased new piping, put some dope on it and we'll see if that's it... Hopefully there isn't something further down inside the wall that I can't get too..

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 28, 2011, 07:44 AM
    We thank you for the update. I don't think it's farther down or you would have water leaking 24/7.
    Let us know if that fixed it. Good luck, Tom

Sep 28, 2011, 12:13 PM
    Glad you did the test, proved the drain wasn't the issue. Not really sure what you did here "copper lead pipe" but if its dry then you are good for now. I'd check this patch in a few days to see if its still dry. Wrap the mixing valve and patch with toilet papper, if its wet later you will know you still have a small issue.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 28, 2011, 01:16 PM
    Bob,

I think he means the shower riser pipe. "Lead" like in like "Bob is a great leader at AMHD. Vote for Bob for president". Not "lead" like in lead poisoning.

Sep 28, 2011, 03:04 PM
    Thanks Harold. Some folks say I lead like lead. Get it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing leak when cold shower run? [ 3 Answers ]

There is a small drip when the cold water is run out the faucet but turns to a steady stream after 60-90 seconds of running the shower, cold only. The water appears to be running over the end of the tub but is also on the floor around the sides. Opened up wall behind faucets and showerhead, dry...

Plumbing questions bath and shower faucet leak [ 2 Answers ]

I have a two handle Kohler K15201 faucet that leaks on the hot side. I have tried a plumbing socket set but the clearances are too tight- the wrench won't fit around the bonnet so I can remove the valve kit. A strap wrench won't work either. The bonnet is recessed into the wall and I can't get a...

Plumbing leak [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a leak in my bathroom coming from under the carpet in the door way. My stand alone shower is to the left. I have a separate garden tub.I need some advice on where to start looking.please help!

Shower Leak and toilet leak in different bathrooms [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Leak 1. Last week I noticed a water stain in my ceiling below my shower. The stain is about 1 foot to the left of where the drain would be. The stain on my ceiling is in the shape of an "L" . Leak 2. I hope this is unrealated to Leak 1. There is a stain on my ceiling which I...

Shower pipe plumbing leak [ 21 Answers ]

I have a leak that has progressed into a problem in my living room's ceiling tiles. My shower is directly above and the drain p-trap is visible through the tiles. A couple of tiles have become soggy and discolored, so I removed 6 - 14" ceiling tiles to see the problem. The ceiling section above...

View more questions Search