Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Linny_Linn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2008, 09:11 AM
    Ring Metal Compositions: Tarnishing
    Will rings with these type metals below tarnish and turn your finger green?

* 14k YELLOW GOLD OVER STERLING SILVER

* 925 solid sterling with THICK PLATINUM OVERLAY
    Example:solid sterling silver, marked 92.5 and sealed the ring and bonding (an overlay) of platinum

* Sterling silver is 92.5 pure silver and the other 7.5 is alloy of either nickel or copper

*Gold 14K is 52.5 percent pure gold and the rest are alloys
    maecynsmom Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 05:49 PM

Anything silver will tarnish. Your finger may turn green depending on how it reacts to certain metals. Some people are allergic to nickel and can't wear gold because it reacts to the acid on their skin.
    martireed50 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2008, 11:22 AM
    14k yellow gold over sterling is either gold plated or gold filled... if it's gold filled it's OK for normal wear for the life of the piece... however, if it's gold plated, it will wear off quickly and will begin to tarnish and turn your finger green. Find out if it's plated or filled before you purchase it. Don't buy gold plated, it has s very short life.

925 sterling with platinum overlay is just that, sterling overlaid w/platinum, it will look like platinum as long as the overlay lasts, generally for a short time.

925 silver is Sterling Silver. It will tarnish and turn after a while, but can be cleaned easily. I wear sterling rings all the time. If I wear them contstantly they don't turn, when I put them away, they turn and have to be cleaned with a silver cleaner before they are worn again.

14k gold will last forever and never turn your fingers. 14k gold is a softer metal and will bend somewhat easier than 12k or 10k gold, but unless you are going to use your hands for heavy work, i.e. using hand tools that could bend your rings, etc, you'll be fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Metal and non metal temperature [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me why metals are or appear to be colder than non metals?

Solitaire diamond ring or a diamond ring of small diamonds of same carat weight? [ 11 Answers ]

Which dioamond ring should I buy a solitaire diamond ring or a diamond ring of small diamonds of same carat weight?

Solving function compositions [ 6 Answers ]

If f(x)= x^4 +7 and g(x) = x+5 and h(x) =x^1/2 then what does f o g o h (x) =??

What's the difference between a comitment ring and an engagement ring? [ 13 Answers ]

Can someone please help me here I was wondering what's the difference between a commitment ring and an engagement ring?

View more questions Search