Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Arf140 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2008, 04:27 PM
    White-Rodgers Thermostat 1F86-244 not working in AUTO during the day
    I have a White-Rodgers Thermostat model 1F86-244 and I seem to be having a problem with its operation during the day. For the past few days when I get home from work the room temperature is really cold (thermostat is set at 68, but the room temp is about 56) as if the heat has not been running during the day. The thermostat is normally set with the fan to AUTO and the temp on HEAT. When I get home, if I switch the thermostat to OFF and then back to HEAT, it will kick on and start to heat up and the fan will come on to blow air. After a while, the house will eventually heat back up, and it will work properly throughout the night and morning, but once I get home from work the next day, it's the same all over again. I worry about leaving my animals at home during the day if the heat is not coming on, especially as it starts to get colder.

I have tried just about everything, including resetting the thermostat according to the instructions and I have replaced the AA batteries in it. It is not a programmable model, so it should be keeping the same temperature for which it is set. This has happened several days in a row, so I do not expect that any kind of power outage is causing the problem. The thermostat is only a few years old, but should I have it replaced, or is there something else I should check? Furnace is a Rheem natural gas, forced air unit and it seems to be working OK after I turn the thermostat off and back on when when I get home.

Please help!

Thanks!
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 11, 2008, 04:51 PM

Are you dead set on a programmable thermostat? If not, then replace existing thermostat with a nonprogramable themostat. This will eliminate thermostat problem. If problem persist(as I believe it will) then we will try to help detect problem of furnace.

Dec 11, 2008, 04:58 PM

The current thermostat is not programmable, meaning it can not be programmed to change temperatures at different times, that's why this problem is so confusing.

Does the problem lie with the furnace?
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Dec 11, 2008, 05:07 PM

Just to spitball here, maybe the fact that it happens during the day is a coincidence. Maybe your flame sensor is dirty. Not totally dirty but enough to fail intermittently. I had the same problem last year and cleaning the sensor pretty much solved it. Pull it, clean it and see what happens. Can't hurt.
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 11, 2008, 05:45 PM

Sorry, just assumed you had a prgramable.

Yes, I would say problem lies in furnace. Start by following marks advice. Very likely your problem will be solved. Dirty flame senser is very common and will cause intermittent furnace problems.

Let us know if you need help locating flame senser. However, we will need make and model of furnace. Posting a picture of the inside of the furnace would also help immensly. The more pics the better.

Dec 11, 2008, 05:56 PM
    The furnace is a Rheem/Ruud Deluxe Drum 90 Plus, model number UGED-07EMAGS. I'll try to get picture soon.

Dec 11, 2008, 06:33 PM
    A picture should be attached, hopefully you can see it OK and help me find the flame sensor so I can clean it. Thanks for the help!
    Attached Images

Dec 11, 2008, 06:34 PM
    If you need more pictures let me know and I'll try to get them.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 06:44 PM

Is this furnace in a mobil home?

Dec 11, 2008, 07:20 PM
    No, its not a mobile home. It's a smaller 3 bedroom home.
    greghvacguy Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

Dec 11, 2008, 08:07 PM

There is no flame sensor on this furnace. It is done by the HSI. Check the omhs on it if over 80 put new one in. Check the heatexchanger they go bad seen a lot. If this is on propane stop using it and call you local HVAC. They recalled this unit if on propane (IF IM NOT MISTAKEING ON that) not sure if its on natural gas need to look in to that.
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 12, 2008, 07:09 PM

I agree, time to call a pro for onsite help. Better to be safe than sorry. I believe that this furnace is outdated. Maybe time to upgrade. Rheem makes an excellent furnace(these days). Looks like they may have messed up with this particular model.
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 12, 2008, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wmproop View Post
    is this furnace in a mobil home?
    My thoughts exactly. Looks like a mobile home furnace(thought coleman/red t had a monoply on them. Lol. Whatever this monster is, it only has on oriface, time to update to a better system.
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2008, 07:17 PM

The Rheem drum furnace is very dangerous, my advice is to call a pro,they can be pretty tricky to work on.
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2008, 07:19 PM

At the very least this furnace needs a good tune up, te filter is laying right on the blower housing.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2008, 07:55 PM

The Imperial Drum design is not very fail-safe or reliable. I will never replace one of these heat exchangers again... okay, I know they aren't available any longer, get off my wave dude! Even Rheem finally realized their mistake...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changed over from White Rodgers Thermostat to Honeywell thermostat [ 3 Answers ]

I have a White Rodgers 2 stage heat/1 cool model 1F58-58 heat pump thermostat that I have changed over to a Honeywell programmable thermostat model RTH7400. Did all the correct wiring as stated in the books but when set to cool, the heater kicks on instead of the central air conditioning. What...

Troubleshoot white-rodgers 1F86-244 [ 3 Answers ]

Hello... Looking for help here in South Florida. We have a White-Rodgers 1F86-244 thermostat hooked up to a 2 year old Trane air handler (don't have model number handy) that will not engage. We have an error message on display that says "filter" and when trying to engage the AC the snowflake...

Changing over from White Rodgers Thermostat to Honeywell thermostat [ 3 Answers ]

I have a White Rodgers 2 stage heat/1 cool model 1F58-58 heat pump thermostat that I want to change over to a Honeywell programmable thermostat model RTH7400. I need help in trying to figure out the wiring part of this whole thing. Can someone out there please help. I would certainly appreciate...

White-Rodgers Thermostat #1F86-244 inop in "Auto" mode [ 1 Answers ]

When fan switch is set to the "On" position fan comes on and system blows hot air. When switch is set to the "Auto" position fan does not come on despite temperature being set to call for heat. While fan is running with switch in the "On" position, if I slide switch to "Auto", fan shuts off. Is it...

White rodgers thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I am starting to install a thermostat on a 1972 furnace with heating and air. I have four wires two green wires and one red and one black not sure how they hook up to the new thermostatwhich is atype 1f56w-444. If someone could please shed some light on this for me please help. Ron

View more questions Search