Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NAbrams Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2008, 05:51 PM
    White-Rodgers Thermostat #1F86-244 inop in "Auto" mode
    When fan switch is set to the "On" position fan comes on and system blows hot air. When switch is set to the "Auto" position fan does not come on despite temperature being set to call for heat. While fan is running with switch in the "On" position, if I slide switch to "Auto", fan shuts off. Is it time to replace T-stat?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 24, 2008, 06:09 PM
    Thermostat is probably fine. When the thermostat is set to auto for the blower it operates through a control in the furnace called a fan and limit control or fan control. This control allows the unit to heat up before the blower comes on and in your case it seems not to be working correctly. I would suggest checking and if defective replacing the control for the blower that operates in the heat mode.

NOTE when the fan is set to on it bypasses that control and a relay just brings the fan on. This is why your fan still works when you select ON instead of auto.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/C or Heat does not work w/thermostat set "on" or "auto". [ 22 Answers ]

A/C or Heat doesn't work in "on" or "auto". Fan will not come on at the "on" position either. I changed the batteries in the thermostat. I also read somewhere to disconnect the "Y" and hold it to the "R" on the thermostat for two minutes. That will tell me if the thermostat is the problem. ...

Troubleshoot white-rodgers 1F86-244 [ 3 Answers ]

Hello... Looking for help here in South Florida. We have a White-Rodgers 1F86-244 thermostat hooked up to a 2 year old Trane air handler (don't have model number handy) that will not engage. We have an error message on display that says "filter" and when trying to engage the AC the snowflake...

White Rodgers theromstat sticks on "Hold" [ 1 Answers ]

We have a White-Rodgers Comfort-set 70 Series thermostat in our apartment. We have it programed for each day. The thermostat keeps shifting to the "hold" setting on its own and disregards our programming. When we press "run" to continue the program, the clock automatically goes to 12:00. ...

Thermostat Not Working in "AUTO" mode [ 3 Answers ]

Thermostat Not Working in "AUTO" mode. Everything works fine in "ON" position. Have replaced the main power switch and the Thermostat... but its still not working. It is a gas heater/ What do I need to check next?? Thanks for any assistance. BoneDaddy2004

Programmable Thermostat Not Working in "AUTO" mode [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, just wondering if anyone can help me here. I have a Honeywell programmable thermostat that was installed by a professional about a year ago. About 3 days ago, the thermostat stopped maintaining a temperature and began dropping. The thermostat is showing HEAT on the display, however, no heat...

View more questions Search