Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elschulz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2007, 03:53 PM
    401K rules/law
    My question has to do with rules or laws regulating how employers contribute to your 401K after the money has been deducted from your paycheck. My employer has taken 3 deductions from my paycheck over the course of 1.5 months. None of these deductions have been reflected as a contribution to my 401K account online. The 401K representative for our company said that as soon as the contribution is made to the account it should show in the account history online. When I asked my employer about the discrepancy after the first contribution was not reflected in the online account, he said that the contribution would be made once per month rather than twice monthly (we are paid twice monthly). So I have two questions. 1. Can an employer hold a deduction from your pay check to deposit into a 401K account at a later date or is he compelled to deposit with each pay check? 2. Is an employer compelled legally to make a percentage contribution to a 401K if that percentage match is not in writing but rather a verbal agreement? Thanks for the feedback. elschulz
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 16, 2007, 03:59 PM
    It is perfectly legal to make the contributions monthly as long as everyone is treated the same. When the employer transfers the money to the plan administrator should be listed in the plan document, however.

A verbal agreement ican be bindin but is generally as good as the paper its printed on. But in this case, the matching contribution formula has to be listed in the plan documents.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the Rules? [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter's father and I have not been together for almost 3 years and we are still arguing over my daughter and who should do what. I have her most of the time and he takes her Wed night, Sunday afternoon and every other Saturday(day and overnight). We are both in our early 20's. My questions...

The Rules [ 1 Answers ]

More Signs Technology Took Over Your Life - You know Bill Gates' e-mail address, but you have to look up your own social security number. - You stop saying "phone number" and replace it with "voice number," since we all know the majority of phone lines in any house are plugged into...

View more questions Search