Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    siandjas Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2008, 09:14 PM
    Sewage Ejector Pump With no Venting?
    I just purchased a home that utilizes a sewer ejection pump for all of the plumbing in the house. Where the vent pipe comes up out of the seal on the floor it comes up about 2 feet above the floor and then it is capped? There is absolutely nowhere above that capped vent pipe where it could have ever been vented? Is it possible I have a safe system although it is not vented? Can I safely vent this out the side wall of my basement if it does need to be vented. I have no other idea how I could affordably vent this system any other way. The previous owner did have 2 separate smoke eater type fans in the basement ceiling that vented outside. I'm wondering if that had anything to do with the non venting?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 5, 2008, 12:31 AM

Siandjas, the sewer ejector has to be vented. No way around it. Period. It should have 2" vent. You need to extend that capped stub out outside and above the roof.

Dec 5, 2008, 05:14 AM
    Is there a way to run a vent out the basement wall and then go up to the roof. It appears thaat they have been running this system without a vent for a while . Is there any type of air testing we can do until we get it vented to make sure we are not in danger?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 5, 2008, 06:09 AM
    Milo's bang on. The pit must be vented for it to work properly. You may run the vent out the basement and terminate it. However, the end must be screened and you may not terminate under a windrow, door or any such opening.
    it appears thaat they have been running this system without a vent for a while . Is there any type of air testing we can do until we get it vented to make sure we are not in danger?
    No danger here! Without a vent the system will not operate as it should. Actually you should have two vents. One vent for the fixtures and another dedicated vent for the pit. Good luck, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 5, 2008, 11:03 AM

Yes, you can run sewer ejector vent from the pit horizontally to the outside at no less than 1/4" per foot, up-slope from the pit. This section of pipe can be plastic. Once outside, mount the vent pipe on side of the house and continue 12" above the eve line. Place 2" roof flashing where you have to penetrate roof. Exterior pipe should be metal, like, Cast Iron, Galvanized, or Copper. Don't use PVC or ABS for this situation. Use No Hub coupling to connect Plastic and Metal pipes. Attach vertical section of vent with clamps every 6' to the wall.

Dec 8, 2008, 10:18 AM

Thanks for all of the answers. I was given some advice by a local plumber that although it is not code... I could use one of those cap type vent that only lets air in and not out? He said more and more applications are using these types of vents.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 8, 2008, 10:39 AM
    Siandjas...

Sorry, but that plumber is wrong. Never mind the fact that it isn't code, but the sump pump will not work properly or the toilet/sink will bubble as system tries to replace air needed to pump up solids...

I strongly recommend that you install the vent properly to outside air... ;)

Let me know..

MARK

Mar 20, 2009, 06:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Siandjas...

Sorry, but that plumber is wrong. Never mind the fact that it isn't code, but the sump pump will not work properly or the toilet/sink will bubble as system tries to replace air needed to pump up solids...

I strongly recommend that you install the vent properly to outside air...;)

Let me know..

MARK
    Mark, Iknow it's been a while since I made this initial post but I wanted to fill you in on what's going on. I installed a studor vent for the hell of it and it seems to be working fine. I have no bubbling in the toilets or sinks and the pump seems to be working fine. But like I said before appearently the prevoius owner of the home had been running the system like this for years. There never was really any issues with the operation (I don't know why?) but now the plastic cover that used to move slightly due to a vaccuum effect is gone now that I have installed the studor vent.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 21, 2009, 09:01 AM
    I installed a studor vent for the hell of it and it seems to be working fine
    But on what vent did you install it. If it was installed on the fixture vent then great but if you installed it on the pit vent,( you do have two vents don't you?) then it's on the wrong vent. Here's why. A fixture only pulls air in so a Studor Vent will work just fine, however the pit vent expels air as the fixtures discharge into the pit but Pulls air in as the pit pumps out to the main. So the [pit vent both pulls air in and vents it out. A Studor Vent only allows air to come in. Please describe your venting configuration. Regards, Tom

Mar 21, 2009, 09:11 AM
    Yes I installed it right on top of the pit cover. There are two PVC lines coming out of the pit. The first one is a discharge and the 2nd one goes up to the basement ceiling and has a studor vent at the top? Where would I find the vent you are referring to? Thanks again for your help
    fredbart Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2010, 11:34 AM
    My lift station with sewage ejector pump is in unfinished, dirt-floor basement (really large crawl space) under house built on slope toward lake. It has two PVC pipes exiting, one is the discharge pump-out where the grinder pump sends the waste water out to the sewage system, and the other is top center of the tank (not a "pit" in the floor, but a free-standing fiberglass canister with loosely fitted top maybe 36" across and 36" high). The "vent" pipe comes up and after a right angle opens into the unfinished basement. Basement is concrete block with brick outer veneer with a dozen or so openings for ventilation.

I have the feeling there are several different violations here, but it's been this way for 10 years and has mostly worked. Now I'm looking for biological/bacterial additive to help keep the tank as clean as possible.

I have no odor problem in basement or house and unless we run dishwasher, bathtub, and clothes washer all at once I rarely have problem with pump's ability to pump out wastewater.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 27, 2010, 02:41 PM

Hi Fredbart...

You mentioned a GRINDER PUMP system here... got me to thinking that it is very likely that SIANDJAS had a grinder pump system, too because you can install an AAV on a grinder pump system and all will work properly, but you can't install an AAV on a sewage ejector system as it needs to dispel air out as well as in.

I know how a grinder pump works and I know how to pipe up the inlet and the discharge piping but I have never installed a grinder pump system. In reading up on it, it seems that an AAV is allowed... interesting here!

Anyway, FREDBART... can we help you somehow?

Let us know...

Mark
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 27, 2010, 04:18 PM

I'm looking for biological/bacterial additive to help keep the tank as clean as possible.
    Toss a couple of yeast tablets in the pit. As Mark asked, Is there anything we can assist you with? Just let us know. Tom
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 27, 2010, 06:37 PM

This isn't a pit vent, Tom. We are talking about a GRINDER waste water system.

In reading up on these it appears that AAVS are acceptable for venting the grinder system... not the plumbing fixtures... the grinder system.

My GUESS is that the grinder pump only needs air make up... no expulsion of air... maybe?

Looks like we have some reading to do, huh?

Maybe Milo or the other guys have experience with these wastewater grinder systems... maybe?

Otherwise, let's look into this and post back... I'm certainly curious!

Thanks.
    macplumb Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Mar 21, 2014, 02:49 PM
    4 years later... I would imagine the difference is in a sewage ejector pit the check valve acts as a cap. Where in a grinder the air is able to escape into an empty building sewer line on the outgoing side.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage ejector pump [ 2 Answers ]

My basement sewage pump just stopped working? I checked the ele.breaker it is fine. The pump was just installed about 3 mo. Ago, and was new? What could be the problem? Thanks

Sewage ejector pump [ 2 Answers ]

I had a home built over 2 years ago. We have a full finished basement with a bathroom and a laundry room. The builders installed an ejector pump to get the waste up to the street sewage line, and we have had problem after problem with it. 3 times over the past 2 years, the pump has been...

Another sewage ejector venting issue [ 3 Answers ]

I'm installing a qwik-jon sewage ejector in the basement. The 2" discharge liine will tie into existing 4" drain after about a 2 foot lift. My problem... The only existing vent line I can access is the 1 1/2" vent from the washing machine drain. Is it possible to tie in the 3" vent line from...

Sewage Ejector--Venting problmes [ 1 Answers ]

My friend just brought a house with a sewage ejector which only serves the bathroom in the basement. We always smell some kind of damp smell in the basement,particularly the area closed to the bathroom. Does it possibby cause by the venting problem of the sewage ejector? We check all the pipes...

Sewage ejector pump [ 5 Answers ]

I think my sewage ejector pump may be bad. The fuse for the pump popped and when I re-set the breaker, the ejector pump turns on for several seconds and then the breaker pops again. Does that mean the pump is gone bad or do I have an electrical problem.

View more questions Search