Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Animal0126 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2008, 11:16 AM
    What is the RIGHT thing to do?
    My boyfriend and I have been together now for almost 15 months and he just recently went off to college so we are trying to adjust to not seeing each other every day like we used to. Well he has been gone now for about 3 weeks and we talk on the phone every day for at least 5 minutes, which is better than nothing to me. He has become very cocky lately and he says that I am always pissed off at something and now we are on a break until this Friday. I love him with all of my heart and he means so much to me, but what should I do? I am willing to make things work, but if he doesn't want to then so be it. What should I do about our situation? I am hoping that this break of not talking to each other will help us out and he will realize how much I love him and what we both mean to each other...

Please help...
    Anne :(
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 7, 2008, 11:26 AM
    It doesn't work that way. He is in a whole 'nother environment with interesting people to meet and a huge variety of things to do for fun and to benefit his education. I don't know the statistics, but would guess that most high school romances end once at least one of the couple goes to college or into the military.

You would be doing him a favor by giving him his freedom, or like what my high school boyfriend of two years and I had said to each other once he left for college, and then I did a year later: "You're free to date with no questions asked. Have fun in college, and, if our relationship is meant to last, it will."
    bigbird213 Posts: 681, Reputation: 110

Sep 7, 2008, 11:40 AM
    I started my relationship in my Jr year of high school. It lasted until my Jr year in college. I can tell you that moving away to school, out of state, was one of the most stressful things I had to do as far as my relationship was concerned. We, like you guys, saw each other every day, and spent TOO much time together during high school and the summers. I gave up much of my life for her, didn't see my friends, etc.

When I got to school, it seemed unrealistic to me that she wanted to talk for an hour or more on the phone everyday since "We spent all the time in the world together before that". It doesn't sound like you are doing that, but be careful. From my point of view, talking on the phone is only good if you have something to say and get it over with. I know many women like to talk and just have conversations on the phone. I'd have to bet that most guys, like me, don't enjoy phone conversations as much. Especially if they evolve into awkward silence...

Its going to take some adjusting for sure, and communication is key, but don't talk just for the sake of talking...
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 8, 2008, 08:18 AM
    You both need a break, as your not adjusting as well as he is, and he may be changing his mind about this long distance relationship.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2008, 08:35 AM
    It's always hard to be the one "left behind". Your environment hasn't changed, so there is a big hole in the time that he used to fill. His environment is new so he is developing a new routine. He is meeting lots of new people and having new experiences. It is a very exciting time for him. Because of this it is very common for high school relationships to end when one or both go to college.
    Animal0126 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2008, 01:32 PM
    I know that and I support him completely! I just want us to stay together and try to work things out...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

At home jobs good thing? Or a bad thing? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a two month old little girl, and a job I have had for almost 4 years. When I first found out I was pregnant my boss and I sat down and discussed my future with the company. We decided that after my maternity leave I would come back part time (20 hours) until January of 2009. I am now back...

Did I do the right thing? [ 4 Answers ]

I over the past three days have told the man that I have been involved sexually with fro the past three years that my son past away. I left two voice messages and an email to I have gotten no response to. I consider this to be very inconsiderate on his part and don't believe that he is that busy to...

How do I go about doing the right thing. [ 4 Answers ]

Okay I would just like to find out if anyone could give me advice on the following I have two problems... :( I am going out with my boyfriend for four months and we have a good relationships With minor problems 1> I really love him and keep telling me he loves me but something I think...

View more questions Search