Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    acervantes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2009, 08:42 AM
    Dog poops blood
    Hello. My name is amanda.. I just bought a malshipoo puppy and I have noticed that for a few days, he had bright red blood in his stool.. is this a sign of worms? Please help! This is my first pet. Thank you!
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

May 4, 2009, 08:45 AM

I don't know about worms... Just wanted to ask something. Do you give your pup bones, cooked bones?
    TristaNicholle Posts: 75, Reputation: 9

May 4, 2009, 08:46 AM

It could be worms or intestinal parasites, but it can also be a number of other things as well. Intestinal irritation can be as simple as a dietary change, or can be quite serious. The best thing to do would be to call your local vet and take in a stool sample to be tested for parasites. Nearly all puppies have to be dewormed for roundworms starting at about 6 weeks of age. A check up by a vet and beginner puppy vaccinations for things such as parvo and distemper should also begin at this age.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 4, 2009, 08:47 AM

Good point unky, blockages can cause this sort of thing but so can quite a few other things...

Vet time I'm afraid...
    Uber Member

May 4, 2009, 08:52 AM

Ok, I wasn't so sure about worms because I had a friend who had a pup which had worms (well, it still has some, the last time I say it, but I know that it'll be given meds) There was no problem of bleeding though. Now, I can tell I know a little more on the health of dogs!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 4, 2009, 08:56 AM

It depends on how bad they are, some worms and parasites can have obvious signs like bleeding or worms in their poop but others you can't tell.

I just had to give mine their worming tablets... I've never had any trouble before but this time my boy found the pill hidden in the cheese every time I gave it to him...
    Down the throat it went...
    Uber Member

May 4, 2009, 08:58 AM

LOL, mine just hate meds! :p. Once put in on top oh her food... let her eat while being away. I was back and the meds were still there, but not the food! :p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog poops when alone [ 1 Answers ]

We have a 4 year old pointer mix, had her about a year. Normally we keep her in a kennel when we leave the house. A few times we didn't and twice she has gotten out of the kennel, and she always pees and poops. She never does this when we're home, and we are sure to let her out every morning before...

Pudding poops [ 10 Answers ]

My GSD pup heidi is now 4 1/2 months old and she has pudding poops. We took her to the vet and he has taken a couple samples of her stool and nothing shows up as being wrong so he gave me metronidazole to give her at 250mg 3x a day. My questions are is this safe? Does the dosage seem right? (Heidi...

Poops bad [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 58 day old Shih tzu, he is having a problem pooping , he goes just it seems like he is not done. At times blood come at the end of his job. Took him to the vet and he was OK at check up . Does anyone know what it could be.

My Cav pees and poops [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1 1/2 yr old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, who is the most adorable. He is potty trained though not completely reliable. He won't mess on my main level however he will go to the basement and do his job. For the most part he goes to the door and sits down or scratches the door to be let...

Dashie poops on bed [ 2 Answers ]

I have two dashies.aged 2 and 1. Both are housebroken and we rarely have accidents. BUT if I leave my bedroom open my youngest will poop on the bed! Without fail (its a futon by the way 4cm off the floor). Nowhere else does this ever happen. And (I know its bad but... ) they sleep with me as hubby...

View more questions Search