Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plattmrt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2005, 08:50 AM
    Moving a toilet and adding a sink
    I am remodeling a bathroom in a 150 year old house so there are several unusual features. I want to move a toilet that is on a 3 inch copper line 6 feet away from the 3 inch copper drain stack. It is currently 2 feet away. The vent at the main stack is 2 inches and it is at a 90 degree angle to the stack. It runs about 5 feet before it turns 90 degrees goes up into the attic and snakes around and then exits through the roof. During this 5 feet of nearly horizontal (slopes ¼ inch per foot) run the vent also catches a 1 ½ inch tub drain. Everything works as it is however I was concerned that moving the toilet 6 feet from the stack might cause a problem. Will it? I also want to add a sink to this horizontal wet stack that would also be six feet away. Can I do it without adding a vent closer to the sink which structurally would be very difficult? Would using a 2 inch waste for the sink be a good idea?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 18, 2005, 10:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by plattmrt
    I am remodeling a bathroom in a 150 year old house so there are several unusual features. I want to move a toilet that is on a 3 inch copper line 6 feet away from the 3 inch copper drain stack. It is currently 2 feet away. The vent at the main stack is 2 inches and it is at a 90 degree angle to the stack. It runs about 5 feet before it turns 90 degrees goes up into the attic and snakes around and then exits through the roof. During this 5 feet of nearly horizontal (slopes ¼ inch per foot) run the vent also catches a 1 ½ inch tub drain. Everything works as it is however I was concerned that moving the toilet 6 feet from the stack might cause a problem. Will it? I also want to add a sink to this horizontal wet stack that would also be six feet away. Can I do it without adding a vent closer to the sink which structurally would be very difficult? Would using a 2 inch waste for the sink be a good idea?
    Moving the toilet 6' will present no problem although I'm interested if you plan on converting from copper drainage and what you wish to convert to.
    However you failed to give me enough details about the vent you plan on adding a lavatory to. What does this originally vent? How high off the floor line is the horizontal vent pipe? If the horizontal vent pipe is real low then you will have to vent the sink. However you may use a mechanical spring loaded vent and not have to run any pipe. Code calls for 5' between trap and vent with a 2" drain. But If there's no permits pulled and you won't be inspected you can "fudge" a little on the distance. Good luck, Tom
    plattmrt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2005, 11:08 AM
    Clarification on moving toilet and adding a sink
    Tom thanks for the reply. My plan is to cut the copper put in a fernco fitting and then run PVC. I am a novice and open to other ideas. The horizontal wet vent is at floor level and accepts (in order of furthest distance from the main stack) a 1 ½ inch tub drain, the proposed 2 inch sink drain, and the toilet. As I mentioned the main stack makes a 90 degree turn directly above the toilet connection. I used a 3 inch 90 degree elbow with a 2 inch side inlet for a shower and then sized down the horizontal wet vent to 2 inches before the tub and sink connections. Does everything sound OK? Let me know if you need further clarification. Thanks again.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 18, 2005, 03:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by plattmrt
    Tom thanks for the reply. My plan is to cut the copper put in a fernco fitting and then run PVC. I am a novice and open to other ideas. The horizontal wet vent is at floor level and accepts (in order of furthest distance from the main stack) a 1 ½ inch tub drain, the proposed 2 inch sink drain, and the toilet. As I mentioned the main stack makes a 90 degree turn directly above the toilet connection. I used a 3 inch 90 degree elbow with a 2 inch side inlet for a shower and then sized down the horizontal wet vent to 2 inches before the tub and sink connections. Does everything sound OK? Let me know if you need further clarification. Thanks again.

In order to connect to a drain on the floor with your lavatory you would have to install a "S" trap. This is illegal and outlawed by ALL local, state and Universal Plumbing Codes. You Must run a vent on the lavatory. How far will the lavatory be from the vertical dry vent? If you can tie to that you won't need a vent. The distances between trap and vent go like this.

1 1/2" *** 3 1/2" ft.
    2" ****** 5 ft.
    3" ***** 6 ft.
    4" ***** 10 ft.

If you can't tie back to the dry vent consider a mechanical vent mentioned earlier. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need some help with venting, moving toilet adding bath [ 9 Answers ]

I am moving my toilet to the other side of the bathroom, and adding a tub. My bathroom is very small 5' X 7' and I only have one existing vent. The vent is 2" in the wall and is 3" coming out of the roof. Anyway, I was wondering if this piping plan would work, or if someone has a better way to do...

Moving Laundry room and adding bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to move my laundry room to an adjacent room and combine it with a (new)full bath. The current laundry plumbing and waste is on an outide wall and the room has a floor drain in center about 6' in. The kitchen plumbing and waste is 10' away on the same outside wall. The waste line...

Adding a utility sink [ 1 Answers ]

I am planning on adding a utility sink to my laundry room, I was planning on tapping into the water lines and drain to the washer. I have not opened up the wall yet so I don't know the exact configuration of the drain, but my question is if I run the sink drain of off the drain from the washer...

Adding sink and shower [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have on one side of my bathroom a large cast iron tub and a sink with vanity. However I want to move the sink over to the other side of the room but there is no water line there, also I want to put a corner shower unit in place of the old sink how would I go about making the old spot...

Adding another sink in bath [ 1 Answers ]

I am going from a single sink in the bath to a double sink. They will be on the same counter as the old one. Will it be possible to branch off the single water lines and run it to both sinks. Also can I run the drains to the single drain all ready there.

View more questions Search