Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    monicanhec Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2007, 07:32 PM
    Am I making the right decision in giving up my parental rights to my children?
    I have 3 children from my first husband and 2 from my current husband now. My ex abandoned me and my 3 children when we where going through our divorce for 3 years. He then decided to be a Hero to my 3 children and brain washed them that if they follow him that he'll buy them each 4-wheelers. He hired a good lawyer... had my children taken away from me and then I was slapped with a $534.00 a month child support which was never used on my children and went to my ex's wife to support her bingo addiction. I remarried, moved on with my life and had 2 beautiful little girls. One of my daughter was born asthmatic and eczema. When she turned 5 in 2003, her eczema worstend and left me no choice but to resign from work to take care of her. Till this day, she cannot be exposed to heat too long and getting on the school bus was a restriction the doctors gave her. I stopped paying child support in 2003 when I resigned from work and since then, my ex has stopped my children from visiting me. Now he has taken me back to court for child support arrears and I am forced to go job searching. I tried to explain my daughter's condition to the judge but no luck. They claim that the law is concerned of the three children and will not give credit to my other 2 children. My husband now is currently ill and will soon be unable to work for 1 year because of the highly dosages of medication that he will be taking. I also asked the judge who will support my family if I have to pay child support to my ex who is earning over $25.00 per hour and eats better meals than I do.. They flat out responded that there concern in the 3 children and not my immediate family. Is it wrong for me to think that it's better for me to give up my parental rights to my 3 children since I've already been treated that way since 2003? I really need some advice and I hope that I will get it here... I'm desperate and will try anything..
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 27, 2007, 07:39 PM
    First you do know that giving up your rights, does not stop you from owing and having to pay child support, it merely means you can't force him to allow visits and have a part of tiher life.

After you give up your rights, he keeps making you pay child support and you have no say at all.

So why in the world do you want to give up your rights.
    You get an attorney and force visits, he can not stop you from seeing the children, even if you are not paying, paying child support is not attacked to visits. If you don't pay, he can take you to court, not legally stop visits. If he stops visits you have right to take him back to court.
    monicanhec Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2007, 07:45 PM
    I checked with the Attorney General's office and they told me that the child support will stop, but the arrears will have to be paid.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 27, 2007, 08:01 PM
    What state do you live in? From what I'm aware of termination of Parental Rights is rarely granted, especially if its just to get out of paying child support.

If the courts are saying their concern is for the other three kids, then they are not going to let you off the hook just because you want to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Giving up your parental rights [ 10 Answers ]

I recently got a girl preganat, and from day one I told her that we should not have the baby. Mainly because I have other kids and she was married. She insisted on having the baby anyway and I want to give up my rights to the baby without having to pay child support or anything. She choose to have...

GIving Up Parental Rights [ 1 Answers ]

What are the steps my husband has to do though give up parental rights to his daughter. She doesn't want anything to do with him. She consider her step-father her real Dad. We have talked to her mother about this and she wants him to give up his parental rights.

Giving up parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

My son has a 7 yr old child with a woman he was not married to. She was pregnant by my son when she got married to another man. Testing proved the child belonged to my son. But, the mother insisted on giving the child the surname of her husband. She has never allowed visititation to my son. In...

Giving up parental rights [ 1 Answers ]

My ex husband wants to give up parental rights to our 2 children.. If he gives his rights up is he still obligated to pay child support?

Giving up parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

My husband has a child with a woman prior to us getting married. He was not made aware of the child until the child was almost a year old. He has a court order to pay child support for this child. He has only seen the child the one time we went to get the paternity test. We do not know where...

View more questions Search