Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rahulj7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2008, 01:52 PM
    Filing first time. I am on H1 and my wife & son on H4
    I came to US in feb 2007 on H1. My wife and son joined me in April 2007. Both are on H4 visa. Wife has no SSN nor ITIN. I have following questions

1. Do I need to apply for ITIN for both my wife and son? If so how and which option to select in W7 for both

2. How do I file for my taxes? Jointly

3. Do I get any child credits? And how to claim
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 21, 2008, 03:57 PM
    1 & 2) If you wish to file jointly with your wife and claim your son as a dependent, you MUST submit Form W-7 for her and your son WITH your 2007 tax return.

Your other option is to file dual-status, but you will STILL need to submit the W-7 in order to claim your wife and son as dependents.

Filing jointly results is a LOWER tax bill.

3) Yes, you WILL qualify to claim the $1,000 Child Tax Credit for your son, but ONLY IF you file jointly.

You WILL have to claim any 2007 income your wife earned, plus the 2007 income you earned while in your home country. You can claim the Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116) for any taxes paid to your home country, and the tax benefits for filing jointly will probably outweigh any additional tax due on the home country income.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 21, 2008, 08:32 PM
    Complete your tax return as resident (Form 1040 or 1040A or 1040EZ) and file as Married Filing Jointly. This will be your best option.
    Attach completed forms W7 for your wife and son with your tax return.
    Yes, you are supposed to report your (includes your wife) world wide income, and will get credit for taxes paid in India.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 23, 2008, 12:12 PM
    Agreed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax filing status, I'm on H1, my wife on H4 [ 1 Answers ]

I've been working in US on H1 status since Jan 2005. I got married on 12/13/06 back in my country and my wife arrived in US with me on 1/3/07. Now, can I file 2006 taxes in 'Married Joing filing' status ? I've seen the following info on one of threads but I'm not sure if I can do Joing...

Filing taxes when I am on H1 and my wife is on H4 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been on an H1 since 2003 and I got married in August '06. My wife came here on Oct 5th. I read through the instructions and concluded that we can file jointly (even though she doesn't meet the substantial presence test) for 2006. When I filled the 1040, I realised that I owe $5000 after...

Filing Tax First Time for myself (H1B) and my Wife(H4) [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I was in Seattle, WA from Mar 2006 to Nov 2006 on H1B. My Wife was with me from Apr 2006 to Nov 2006 on H4. I had mentioned M2 as the FWT. I am back to my native country from Nov 2006. I have the following queries regarding filing the tax. Kindly clarify my queries. 1. Am I a resident...

Filing Taxes for myself (H1) and my wife (h4) [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Tax Experts, I am married and entered into USA on April 2006. My wife joined me in June 2006. I want to file my Tax for the time I was in USA? 1. Do I need to file ITIN for my wife first? Or I can do it when I am filing for my Tax? 2. Do I have to file as dual-status return for both of us?...

Filing Taxes for myself (H1) and my wife (h4) [ 1 Answers ]

In one of your previous replies you had said that for filing taxes with person with H1 and wife with H4. "Yes, she will need an ITIN. Download a W-7 from www.irs.gov, fill it out, have you wife sign it and attach a notarized copy of her passport to the W-7. Attach both to your joint tax return...

View more questions Search